Here is our latest edition of Rammy On This Saturday as we look back at the events on the pitch on the respective Saturday’s in our non-league history.


(Tony Cunningham’s match report from the game)

Having won just six league matches throughout the whole of 2015, and just two previously this season, 2016 begun in much brighter fashion for Ramsbottom United, as within nine days of the New Year starting, they have doubled their tally for the season on the back of two long away trips.

A victory at Stourbridge last Saturday may have had a few eyebrows raised, but this latest three pointer will have a few sides mired near the bottom of the table twitching at what appears to be an awakening from the year to forget for the storm-battered Rams.

The win last week was more than welcome, but this latest victory looks to be proof that the new managerial set-up at the club is starting to pay dividends.

With a much-changed line-up from the one he inherited, manager Garry Vaughan appears to have put together a squad more than capable of looking after itself at this level, and the task ahead now is to move away, initially from the bottom spot that the Rams have occupied all season, then out of the relegation trap-door of the bottom four.

Wins breed confidence, and this one will certainly have boosted everyone concerned with the club, for it was as comprehensive as the scoreline suggests.

The Rams attacked their hosts from the off, and controlled the majority of the game, scoring four times to demoralise the Lincolnshire outfit.

Having begun on the front foot, it was no surprise when Kayde Coppin opened his account for the club after just 12 minutes when he latched on to a bouncing ball in the area and lashed it home from eight yards.

Very little was seen of the Grantham attack, a free-kick over the bar the closest they came in the first half. David Kuba-Kuba almost doubled the visitors lead when a back-header went just over, but that lead was extended two minutes before the break.

A Coppin corner dropped kindly for Alex Meaney at the far post, and he tucked it away, and the teams left the field at the halfway point to differing opinions being spouted in the dressing rooms.

Grantham did re-appear with a flea in their collective ears, but any possibility of a response was soon muted as the Rams took control of the game for once and for all before the hour mark.

On 53 minutes, Kuba-Kuba took advantage of a mix-up in the area and calmly stroked the ball past home keeper Jake Turner, and five minutes later, Meaney wrapped up the scoring from the spot following a trip on Danny Wilkins.

The hosts heads went down at that point, and but for some slip-shod finishing, the Rams could quite easily have extended their lead as they played the game down and returned home with a very welcome and thoroughly deserved three points following their biggest league win since October 2014, and best away performance since October 2013.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Grant Shenton (capt), Prince Haywood, Luke Heron, Marcus Poscha, Nia Bayunu, Jake Cliffe (Phil Edghill 78mins), Kayde Coppin, Alex Meaney (Zack Hargreaves 86mins), Danny Wilkins (Michael Oates 85mins), David Kuba-Kuba, John Pritchard. Subs not used: Robbie Bromley, Charlie Doyle.
Goals: Kayde Coppin (12mins), Alex Meaney (43mins), David Kuba-Kuba (53mins), Alex Meaney (59mins – pen).


The big freeze which welcomed 2010 in wrecked the local non-league programme with the Rams’ scheduled home game with Winsford United in the NWCFL called off.

The Unibond League, as it was then, amended its rules to allow clubs to call their games without the need for the referee to be present.


The Rams hosted Prescot Cables in the North West Trains League Division One and continued their disappointing opening to the new year with a second successive defeat.

But it only came with a last minute goal from Peter Cumisky which maintained their good run of form.

Billy McCartney’s 85th minute strike had given the Rams hope that they would take at least a share of the spoils, having fallen behind to an Eddie Taylor goal six minutes into the second half.

However, Ken Bridge’s side were to be denied by the last gasp winner for Cables.

The Rams, who were without suspended pairing Danny Goodall and Warren Brierley also had to ensure a groin strain for keeper Paul Horridge, which would make him a worry ahead of the next game.