We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.



(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

Ramsbottom United sailed through to the next round of the League cup at a canter, in a game that had “Banana Skin” written all over it, dismissing Daisy Hill 4-1 at the Harry Williams Riverside.

The Rams record against lower league opposition has been poor of late, but an early goal settled the nerves, when James Rothel skipped into the area in the second minute and his low shot found it’s way into the net to give the home side the lead.

Poor defending just five minutes later saw the visitors equalise. The ball was allowed to be played back across goal, and at the second attempt Adams gleefully smashed it home from six yards.

Two minutes later and the Rams restored their lead as Andy Sensale lobbed Moore in the Daisy Hill goal to complete a breathless three goal feast in the first nine minutes.

On eleven minutes Jon Robinson foraged into the area only to see his effort saved and Lee Gaskell’s follow-up tipped round for a corner, and moments later Robinson found himself one-on-one with the keeper, but the custodian won the battle, as he did in an identical situation just seconds later.

Daisy Hill responded with a fierce drive from Gregory which was deflected for a corner from which Scanlon missed the target by inches. Adams came close on 30 minutes, but the majority of the play took place in the visitor’s half as the Rams took control.

A third goal came on 33 minutes when Joel Pilkington found Gaskell, and he neatly beat the advancing Moore to extend the home side’s lead.

Further efforts from Anthony Johnson, Rothel and Gaskell could have added to the lead before the break, and Johnson was within a whisker of adding a fourth within seconds of the second half starting as his shot from the edge of the box missed the post by inches.

Johnson it was, again, who was thwarted by the woodwork as his 25 yard drive rebounded back into play, whilst Sensale was close to converting a left-wing cross.

On 59 minutes, the game was settled as Robinson fed Mark Drew, and the substitute waltzed past a couple of tackles before flicking the ball nonchalantly past Moore to give the Rams a 4-1 lead.

Within a minute Adams almost reduced the arrears when he clipped the Ramsbottom bar, and Hastings saw his angled lob miss the far post, but most of the attacking took place at the other end.

It looked like a case of how many more the home side could score, as Gaskell, twice, Sensale, Robinson and Drew all had chances to extend the lead, but a combination of poor finishing and excellent goal-keeping kept the score down to 4-1, and in the end, it was a comfortable victory for the home side.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Ince, Lea (Dean 72mins), Rothel, Warrender (Lomax 65mins), Dawson, Shuttleworth, Sensale, Pilkington (Drew 45mins), Robinson, Johnson, Gaskell. Subs not used: Sharples, Smalley



(Report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Ramsbottom failed to shake off bogey side Alsager Town as they were knocked out of the League Challenge Cup.

Out of their three matches against them this season, Ramsbottom have lost by the same result on all three occasions.

But the home side got off to a dream start following a nice move between Bernard Morley and Matt Edgington after just four minutes.

The ball was played inside to James Hoyle and after being shown a sight of goal he unleashed an unstoppable 25-yard drive that flew into the back of the net off the inside of the post.

But the visitors failed to buckle under early pressure and quickly reasserted their authority on the match by creating a series of half chances, with Mark Grice causing the home defence problems with his aerial prowess.

Steve Grocott’s fierce drive tested Dryden on 20 minutes but the keeper was well placed to tip the ball around the post.

Minutes later the hosts almost extended their lead when Matt Edgington created an opening after soaring beyond the Alsager full back, but his low shot was unfortunately deflected beyond the near post with stopper Rob Powner struggling.

After Paul Ireland fired a warning shot to the Rams with a dangerous cross, it was no surprise when the equaliser arrived on 26 minutes. A curling corner caused a mix-up in the Ramsbottom defence and Brotherton was once again well placed to poke the ball into the bottom corner.

Ramsbottom were forced onto the back foot for a second time when Grice ran through onto a long punt and calmly lobbed the ball over Dryden.

Alsager threatened to run riot as they continued to press forward and only a last-ditch tackle from Bill Robertson stopped Ireland from firing in a third Alsager goal.

Derek Egan’s side almost levelled on half-time when Morley poked a loose ball inside the penalty area towards goal but Powner was able to palm it round the post.

Both Ian Verow and Peter Heler will feel a little aggrieved after failing to finish the tie when presented with sights at goal.

But the result was finally sealed on 75 minutes when substitute Phil Parkinson was found unmarked inside the 18-yard box and he made no mistake by slipping beyond Dryden.



Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be a report of this game – in fact, the local paper stated we didn’t have a game at all!

But the Rams went seven games unbeaten with a 3-2 win at Nantwich Town with Russ Brierley scoring twice and David Yorke-Robinson adding a third.

The perfect way to kick off the new month which was backed up by a 2-0 win at Atherton Collieries on the Tuesday night so the Rams would be in great form ahead of the FA Vase Round 2 clash away at Tow Law Town the following week.