Here is our latest edition of Rammy On This Saturday as we look back at the events on the pitch on the respective Saturday’s in our non-league history.


(Richard Isaacs’ report from the very old RUFC website)

The Rams put their recent disappointing run behind them with a deserved victory over high-flying St. Helens Town on a sapping Riverside pitch, and at the same time overtook their opponents in the league table.

The Rams suffered an early disappointment when captain Lee Connell was injured in the warm-up and was unable to play. Substitute Eddie O’Neill took his place.

The game started evenly. Former Ram, Ian Dyson tested Damian Rooney in the home goal as early as the third minute, whilst visiting stopper Woods prevented Jon Robinson when he raced onto a through ball a couple of minutes later. Michael Morrison fired over following a free-kick and Phil Dean’s effort was deflected for a corner as the home side went all out for the opening goal.

The visitors however, looked dangerous themselves, and their leading scorer Hanley weaved his way into the box from the right wing only to see Rooney palm away his goal-bound effort.

On 29 minutes, the home side took the lead. A ball over the defence saw Robinson scampering into the corner of the area where he met an unnecessary challenge from the visiting keeper. Robinson went down and the referee pointed to the spot. Robinson dusted himself down and duly converted the spot kick to give the home side the lead.Three minutes later Robinson almost doubled his and the sides tally but his fierce drive from 15 yards was palmed over by the keeper.

At the other end, Graham Mitchell raced through the static home defence but blasted his effort over the top. Almost immediately the home side charged down the left and Phil Dean’s tantalising cross was inches away from being converted by the on-rushing Joel Pilkington.

On 36 minutes a free kick near the halfway line found Dyson, whose looping header sailed over Rooney and into the net to bring the visitors back on level terms.

They were still celebrating, however, when a delighted Phil Dean regained the Rams lead just two minutes later. He snapped up a loose ball in the area and fired home a low drive from ten yards out to score his first goal for the club.

Hanley had the chance to level things just before the break but his effort flew harmlessly over the bar.

The second half belonged to the Rams. Joel Pilkington almost extended the lead on 54 minutes. His first effort was blocked and he fired the rebound over the top.

A neat move saw Mark Sharples feed Robinson who chested the ball into the path of Morrison, but he was inches too high with his shot. Robinson then saw his header from a corner smothered on the line by the visiting keeper, however the Rams leading goalscorer was instrumental in laying on the third on 72 minutes.

His inch-perfect through ball found Morrison who smartly beat the offside trap, lured the keeper and fired home from just inside the box.

Pilkington was inches away from making it 4-1, and Robinson raced onto a Bradley Cooke through ball, but he, too, was inches away from the target.

A late scare for the home side came with just three minutes left. Substitute Elias sent in a hopeful cross which rebounded into play off the crossbar, and Dyson jinxed his way into the area only to see his effort deflected for a corner.

These were isolated incidents, however, as the second half belonged to the resurgent Rams, whose confidence seemed to return as the game wore on, and they thoroughly deserved the three points. Maybe not quite the fluent football that the supporters had enjoyed during the first half of the season, but the signs were there that the entertaining style could well be on the way back.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Rooney, Bowyer, Dean, Morley (sub:Cooke 80mins), Dawson, Flint, O’Neill, Pilkington (sub:Callaghan 89mins), Robinson, Morrison (Sub:Sensale81mins), Sharples. Sub not used: Nuttall.


The Rams took a 4-3 first-leg lead into the return fixture seven days later but were eventually overcome after extra time, going down 3-1 to lose 6-5 on aggregate.

Pre-match, manager Vince Overson was looking forward to the game although he admitted “we’re struggling to get a team.”

Both Lee Buggie, who scored both goals in the midweek draw with Skelmersdale United, and Lima Bowden were cup tied.

“Stewart is suspended; both Gareth Gardiner and Ged Walsh look like being unavailable due to work commitments; and Dyson is struggling with an injury.

“So we’ll just have to give everything we’ve got and see where it gets us”

As it happened, Dyson did play but the others were all missing and a goal from Michael Saunders saw the game end after 90 minutes at 2-1

But a late goal for the home side with seal the victory and knock the Rams out at the semi-final stage.


All the talk prior to this game was that the Rams would be looking to put one over former assistant boss Paul Cuddy when his Nantwich Town side visit The Riverside.

Cuddy quit the Rams earlier this season to take up the hot seat at the Cheshire outfit and got his managerial career off to the perfect start with a crushing victory over his old club.

That was back in January 1999 when Nantwich ran out 4-2 winners.

“That performance really was dire, looking back, but it’s very difficult to envisage us playing that badly again,” said secretary John Maher.

“I’m sure Paul will see this game as a bit of a special occasion and he’ll want to put one over us, I’ve no doubts about that.

“But we have a point to prove and I’m sure our lads will want to set the record straight.”

The home side were without Steve Brennan because of work commitments and Danny Goodall is still sidelined by a hamstring injury.

Did we play that badly again? Sadly there doesn’t seem to be a match report but we did lost 3-0 …. so probably!