Here is our latest edition of Rammy On This Saturday as we look back at the events on the pitch on the respective Saturday’s in our non-league history.


(Richard Isaacs’ report from the very old RUFC website)

The last thing any team which has been on the end of three straight defeats needs is a game against the league’s runaway leaders – and the run of losses continued with a 4-0 reverse to champs-elect Newcastle Town.

Such was the scenario for the Rams as the Staffordshire juggernaut rolled into town, and with a superb display of clinical finishing showed just why they are nailed-on certainties to win this league.

Joint manager Anthony Johnson’s promise to shake up the side after the recent defeats was in evidence in the line-up that included three debutants. Defender Robert Flint from Maine Road and forward Michael Morrison from Padiham both impressed whilst free-scoring Sam Heap from Nelson had to be content with a place on the bench.

Both sides stood face-to-face for the first 20 minutes, then Newcastle’s confidence saw them score twice in five minutes to wrestle the game away from the home side.

Both goals came as a result of corners not being cleared. Firstly Skelton fired through a forest of legs from the edge of the penalty area, then on 24 minutes Budrys superbly fired home from the corner of the box to deflate the Rams.

John Robinson could have halved the deficit almost immediately, as he was sent through only to have the ball cleared off his toes as he was about to shoot. A similar fate happened to Morrison shortly afterwards, but by then the Rams were three down and lucky not to be four.

They had Damian Rooney to thank for preventing Thompson adding to the lead. He had been played clean through, but Rooney bravely dived at his feet to gather the ball and took a nasty knock for his troubles.

The third goal did come after 35 minutes. Twice close range efforts had been blocked by the home defence before man-of-the-match Jordan Johnson fired home into the top corner to reinforce the visitors’ superiority.

For good measure two minutes before the break Mellor found himself unmarked to nod home a left-wing corner to give the half-time scoreline a completely one-sided look.

All that was left for the Rams was to fight for pride in the second half, and to their credit, this they did.

Apart from a disallowed goal for offside, the home defence held out well in the second half, although a lack of quality crosses into the box denied the home side the opportunities they needed to get onto the scoresheet.

Morrison, twice, went close whilst Robinson fired over early in the half, but Budrys and Johnson both had chances to extend the lead for Newcastle.

Whilst the effort could not be faulted, this is the third game in the last four where the oppositions’ goal has not been troubled. As a result, the Rams have slid out of the top five, and need to recreate that early season form that promised so much, in an effort to push back up the table.

The effort and the desire is there, but the anxiety is starting to take over, denting the team’s confidence. A couple of good wins are needed to see the confidence return.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Rooney, Bowyer, O’Neill(sub Dean 64mins), Morley, Dawson, Flint, Connell, Pilkington(sub Sharples 82mins), Robinson, Morrison, Cooke(sub Sensale 64mins) Subs not used: Heap, Callaghan


(report from Lancashire Evening Telegraph archives)

The semi-final of the NWCFL League Cup first leg was marred in the build-up by a bitter war of words between Vince Overson and Danny Heys.

Boss Overson sacked the winger from the club after he kicked a chair over the advertising hoardings when he was substituted during United’s 6-2 defeat at Trafford on Tuesday.

Heys then posted a sensational parting shot on the Ramsbottom website in which he accused Overson of having “a pea for a brain”.

He also described the way he was treated on Tuesday as “disgusting and degrading” but the manager hit back by calling the player “an embarrassment”.

Heys told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph: “No-one had a good game on Tuesday so to single out one person is not on.

“I was totally out of order kicking the chair, it was frustration more than anything. But it was the way Vince went about it and threw me out of the club, after I’d been there all season and given them 100 per cent, that I was upset about.

“Colne put seven days notice on me three weeks ago but Vince came to me and said he wanted me to stay and be part of his plans. Now he’s turned round and slaughtered me.

“I don’t feel I got a chance to speak to him so that’s why I went on the website. But I’ve moved on now and I’m not bitter.”

Overson responded by saying: “To go on the website with this stuff shows him up for the man he isn’t.

“He’s sulked his way through the season and when he was substituted he kicked a chair with the chairman, secretary and supporters five yards away.

“It was a disgrace and I asked him to leave the dug out and go down the tunnel but he wouldn’t. He let the players down and was an embarrassment to the club.

“Yes, I gave him a rollicking, I’m not denying that but what does he expect, a pat on the back?

“I gave him another chance three weeks ago and he’s come in and had one decent game. But he was back to his usual non-committed self on Tuesday.”

Overson is insisting morale is still good in the squad ahead of tomorrow’s League Challenge Cup semi-final first leg at home to Newcastle Town, despite the row that broke out following Heys’ actions.

The boss also says that confidence is high, especially given that Ramsbottom beat Newcastle 2-1 last week.

“It’s an important game for us,” said Overson. “The players are looking forward to it and we’re confident we can get a result to take to Newcastle.

“We beat them 2-1 and it could have been three or four, but then we go and get beat 6-2. But that seems to be the way it’s going through the division.

“The lads will have their say on what went wrong and I’ll listen and we’ll go from there. But they will be up for it.”

Ramsbottom have no injury concerns ahead of the tie, although Liam Boden and Lee Buggie are cup-tied.

As it happened, the Rams would turn in an impressive performance by taking a 4-3 lead into the second leg with two goals from Mickey Saunders and one each from Matt Swailes and Mark Stewart.


There was a mid-table clash in the North West Counties League as 10th placed Salford City hosted 11th place Ramsbottom United.

The side had been hit by the news that defender Dave Roache could be on his way to Trafford after the Manchester-club served the Rams with a seven-day notice.

United reported Trafford to the Football Association several weeks ago after they signed Billy McCartney following an illegal approach but their latest swoop is all above board. “It seems like the penny has finally dropped,” said secretary John Maher.

“Nobody likes to lose a player but at least if they go about it in the right way it gives you a chance to try and persuade him to stay.”

Meanwhile, Danny Goodall was out of the game and faced up to three weeks on the sidelines after picking up a hamstring injury.

Goalkeeper Paul Horridge was also missing through suspension but assistant boss Mike Kelly, who deputised in Tuesday night’s victory over Maine Road, stepped in.

And the result …. a 0-0 draw at Moor Lane. Shame there isn’t any record of the crowd that day!