Here is our latest edition of Rammy On This Saturday as we look back at the events on the pitch on the respective Saturday’s in our non-league history.


(Steven Ashe’s report from the very old RUFC website)

On a glorious sunny afternoon in the Cheshire countryside the Rams came away with another three precious points on the road for the 13th time this season as they comfortably defeated Winsford United 2-0.

On a lively and bobbly playing surface it was the Rams who struck first in the 8th minute, when Phil Dean was played in behind the Winsford back four and the keeper saved but could only parry it to Jon Robinson who tapped in to an empty net from five yards out for his 14th goal of the season.

Teenager Dean was again played in behind the static defenders in the 16th minute before slipping the ball to Joel Pilkington but his shot was blocked as the Rams made all the early running. And the flying winger, in a tremendous run of form, was again in on goal in the 24th minute when played in by Robinson, but he lifted the ball over the bar.

The Rams increased their lead in the 29th minute when Robinson went through one on one but his angle was against him so he clipped the ball across the six yard box and Michael Morrison placed his header into the far corner to make it 2-0.

Andy Kinsey came close for the hosts in the 34th minute but he struck his shot wide. The Rams continued to dominate and were playing some nice, attractive football as the end came to a close.

The second half was a bit of a non event as the Rams shut up shop, with the three central defenders – Lee Connell, Andy Dawson and George Bowyer all outstanding. There were one or two scrambles in and around the Rams area, and the odd break or two upfield, but the truth is that Rooney had one of his quieter games.

Overall – An excellent performance from the Rams, who controlled the game, especially in the first half, and comfortably held on in the second half.

The Rams will need to be focused again on Tuesday night as we entertain Winsford United, but this time at The Riverside. It won’t be an easy game.

Man of the Match – Andy Dawson, outstanding today with the ball being like a magnet to his head.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Damien Rooney, George Bowyer, Andy Dawson, Phil Dean (Dominic Smalley 80mins), Bernard Morley, Eddie O’Neill (Jon Lea 89mins), Mark Sharples (John Blackley 87mins), Joel Pilkington, Jon Robinson, Lee Connell, Michael Morrison. Subs not used: Robert Flint, Dean Callaghan.


(Report from Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Ramsbottom continued their roller-coaster season with a convincing 4-1 demolition of Atherton Collieries.

Although Atherton are sitting in the lower echelons of the North West Counties Division One, this was a must win match for Vince Overson’s men with a tough run-in against Clitheroe, Mossley and Stone Dominoes.

The squad was once again stretched to the limit with the unavailability of several key players.

After a quiet opening with both sides struggling to adapt to the difficult playing surface, the match was brought to life on 11 minutes when Lee Buggie found himself in acres of space but his rising shot was parried away to safety by Paul Masher.

Then, from 30 yards, Iain Dyson chipped the ball towards the danger zone and, to everyone’s amazement, it looped into the top corner.

The Rams’ failure to deal with set pieces, which has haunted them all season, once again caused problems when a poor clearance from a deep corner found centre back Lee Bowles and his dipping volley beat the outstretched hand of Paul Eatock.

Atherton almost took the lead on 54 minutes when good work from Mark Jones set up a glorious chance for Steve Hughes, but his powerful strike from the edge of the box was superbly tipped over by Eatock for the first of a number of key saves.

Robbie Smith sent the travelling fans into raptures when his mis-hit cross found a leaping Dyson and his flicked header found its way beyond the forlorn dive of Masher and into the bottom corner.

Rams ended the match the stronger and increased the gap on 88 minutes when Dyson controlled Chris Clark’s through ball, charged through the defence unchallenged and calmly slotted the ball underneath Masher to complete a well-deserved hat-trick.

In the dying seconds, the scoreline was extended to 1-4 when the referee awarded the Rams a penalty and Chris Clark stepped up to send Masher the wrong way.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Paul Eatock, Matt Raywood, Jordan Rispin, Danny Goodall, Lee Buggie, Iain Dyson (Nick McCool 87mins), Chris Clark, Robbie Smith, David Gardiner (Luke Hardman 76mins), Liam Boden, Ged Walsh. Subs not used: Mark Stewart.


(Report from Liverpool Echo archives)

St Helens came from behind to win an entertaining match.

David Yorke-Robinson opened the scoring after 14 minutes before Bryan Griffiths scored twice around the hour mark to put Saints ahead.

Martin Hulme equalised for Ramsbottom in the 74th minute before Gary Laird hit the winner in the 80th minute.

The result continued a disappointing run for the Rams, this being their third home defeat in a row after 0-5 loss to fourth placed Newcastle Town and 0-2 midweek reverse to Vauxhall Motors, who were third.

There were just three games of the season remaining – away at Newcastle Town and Maine Road and home to local rivals Clitheroe.

A mid table finish beckoned – the Rams could finish no higher than ninth – but where would they finish?