Here is our latest edition of Rammy On This Saturday as we look back at the events on the pitch on the respective Saturday’s in our non-league history.


(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

In a highly entertaining season down at the Riverside, this was probably the most highly entertaining game of all. With both sides chasing third spot in the league, this contest was evenly and keenly contested, and a share of the spoils was just reward for the effort put in by both sides on a sun-baked pitch.

It was the visitors who scored first after 12 minutes when a freekick into the area found the ever-menacing Rhead, whose header looped over stranded home keeper Martin Campbell and into the net.

It didn’t take the home side long to reply. Three minutes later, Joel Pilkington was fed through, but a last gasp tackle put the ball out for a corner. That was only partially cleared and as the ball landed at the feet of Dominic Smalley some thirty yards out on the right, he floated home a superb effort into the far corner.

Barely had the joy subsided when the visitors again took the lead. A long ball over the top of the defence saw Lee Connell and George Bowyer hesitate just long enough for Lewis Short to nip in and restore Congleton’s advantage. Teenager Short had a superb game causing the home defence all sorts of problems, and it is no wonder he has just been on trial at Crewe Alexandra.

4 minutes from half-time, the Bears added to their lead when another long ball found the head of Rhead. He nodded it sideways to the on rushing Heath who, spotting Campbell off his line, lifted the ball over the stranded keeper and into the net via the underside of the bar to make the score 3-1.

To be fair, the visitors deserved their half-time advantage, but the appearance of substitute Carl Lomax at the start of the second half proved inspirational. Within six minutes the scores were level.

After 48 minutes, a ball played down the Rammy right was lifted over the keeper, and Bernard Morley crashed it back under the bar from a tight angle.

That was just what the home side needed, and the comeback was complete three minutes later. A fine move saw the home attackers outnumber the visiting defence by 3 to 1. Some good passing ensured they stayed onside, and Michael Morrison was teed up with the chance to rifle home a low drive.

The pendulum had swung in the home side’s favour, and it looked like they would take the lead when Eddie O’Neill was needlessly brought down by keeper Little on the bye-line. He received a yellow card for his troubles, but then saved his embarrassment by beating away Morrison’s spot kick. Smalley miskicked the rebound, and in the ensuing melee John Robinson could only clip the front of the post. Yet again the Rams failed from the 12 yard spot. This has become an unfortunate habit this season, costing the club a number of valuable points.

Try as both sides might to bag a winner, the game stayed at 3-3 until the final whistle, but it wasn’t down to lack of effort. There were chances galore throughout the afternoon as this enthralling contest swung from one end to the other.The closest either side came to adding to the scoreline was when Lee Connell saw his fierce blast headed off the line by a brave Congleton defender whilst the visitors were unlucky when one of the many testing freekicks played in by Smith rattled the Rammy post

On the whole, it would have been unjust for one team to lose such a fine match, but it does put the initiative back with the visitors to clinch third spot.

With the season entering it’s final week, to be in with a shout of third place is testimony to the hard work put in by the players and management of the club throughout the season, and it certainly augers well for the next campaign.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Martin Campbell, George Bowyer, Eddie O’Neill (Phil Dean 85mins), Bernard Morley, Andy Dawson, Lee Connell, Dominic Smalley, Joel Pilkington, Jon Robinson, Michael Morrison (Andy Sensale 85mins), Mark Sharples (Carl Lomax 45mins). Subs not used: Jon Lea, John Blackley.


(Report from Lancashire Telegraph archives)

RAMSBOTTOM did their bit to boost Clitheroe’s title hopes by holding challengers Mossley to a draw.

Vince Overson’s side twice came back from behind to snatch a point at Seel Park.

Former Clitheroe star Lee Buggie was the first on the scoresheet for the Rams before Matt Swailes equalised to level the match.

Ramsbottom must now beat Stone Dominoes at the Riverside tomorrow if they are to earn 50 points this season.

Report from Mossley AFC website:
Mossley almost but not quite blew the League title today despite outplaying visitors Ramsbottom for long periods of the game. Fortunate for Mossley that Clitheroe lost their penultimate game this afternoon going down 1-0 at home to Newcastle.

Clitheroe now need at least a draw from their final fixture at Nantwich Town next Saturday.

Mossley opened very brightly and looked capable of over-running the visitors with Josh Howard and Adam Morning finding lots of room on the flanks.

Unfortunately Mossley found the linesmans flag raised on too many occasions and struggled to find the breakthrough.

Mossley drew first blood in the 8th minute when Matty Taylor’s through ball found Rhodri Giggs who rounded the keeper to score from an improbable angle on the right.

Mossley were dominant but Giggs and Steve Tobin shot straight at the keeper and several other chances flashed wide before Lee Buggie rocked Mossley on 13 minutes when he rifled home after Swailes had attacked the area where the injured and off the pitch Matty Taylor had just vacated.

Mossley continued to dominate and Giggs had the ball in the net only to be flagged offside when it looked unlikely that it was but deservedly regained the lead a minute before the break when Mark Phillips headed home Morning’s right wing corner.

The second half was equally one way traffic but Mossley were a little too comfortable and a tendency to overplay was finally fatal as Mark Phillips stumbled in possession in the 72nd minute and Matty Swailes beat Melville in a one on one to level the scores in the most unlikely manner!

Leon Mike fired home a 25 yard free kick only to be penalised as the referee had raised his arm for an indirect free kick and Mossley couldn’t find another way through as Eatock saved brilliantly to deny Howard and Mike looked to be dragged back as he bore down on goal about to shoot.

Missed chances and some impertinent time wasting by the visitors inevitably cost Mossley victory and now it goes right to the wire!

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Paul Eatock, Danny Goodall, Matt Raywood (Nick McCool 63mins), Jordan Rispin, Lee Buggie, Chris Clark, Liam Boden, Robbie Smith, Luke Hardman, Ged Walsh, Matt Swailes. Subs not used: David Gardiner, Michael Saunders.


(Report from Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Ramsbottom United travelled to second in the table Newcastle Town having gone down 5-0 at home to the Potteries title contenders just a fortnight ago.

The Brierley twins, striker Russell and defender Warren, returned after missing last weekend’s 3-2 home defeat by St Helens Town.

Midfielder Steve Strange was a doubt with a hamstring problem but there are no question marks over Danny Goodall with a similar injury. The problem for the highly rated youngster has proved more serious than first diagnosed and it now looks certain he will sit out the rest of the Rams’ campaign.

And having endured three defeats in a row, starting with the heavy home defeat to the title challengers, they travelled down the M6 no doubt a little fearful.

However, goals from Steve Orrell and Russell Brierley would see the Rams return home with a 2-1 victory, which, as it happened, did put an almighty boot into Newcastle Town’s title hopes as they eventually finished fourth, six points behind eventual league winners Workington.

Meanwhile, it was a much needed win for the Rams and they headed to fellow mid-table dwellers Maine Road on Thursday night and then Clitheroe on Bank Holiday Monday to complete the season.