Leckenby's Tea Rooms

Glossop come from behind to snatch all 3 points from the Rams at Surrey Street.

Leckenby's Tea Rooms

Neither side started the game with any real purpose in this one. Both sets of players were looking to send the ball long despite the blustery conditions making it hard to do so. However, it was Rammy who got the first real chance of the game when Billy Hasler-Cregg was dragged back by goalkeeper Morgan Bacon to win his side a penalty.

It was the unlikeliest of takers to step up for this one, center back Michael Fitzgerald. The young defender wasn’t fazed in the slightest and he converted calmly into the bottom left corner of the goal giving the North End shot stopper absolutely no chance.

Despite the Rams continuing to have slightly more of the ball it was the hosts who looked the more dangerous on the attack. This proved to be the case on 29 minutes when captain Louis White grabbed the equaliser for his side when he latched onto a ball that somehow found its way through the Rams defense from a tame Keaton Mulvey effort.

The visitors had the chance to put themselves ahead once more moments before the half time whistle when Murphy was slipped through one on one with the goalkeeper. Murphy tried to take the ball around the keeper but his touch was too heavy and he made the angle too tight for himself.

As the second half began there was plenty of anticipation of which way this one would go.

It was in fact the Hillmen who started the second half the more lively of the two teams and they almost took the lead on 53 minutes when Sam Barratt saw his 25 yard half volley flying goal bound, but the young Rams shot stopper managed to tip it over the bar with a sensational save at full stretch.

Glossop continued to ramp up the pressure testing Charlie Monks at every opportunity that they got. Then on 70 minutes Ramsbottom were once again undone by a set piece. It was fabulous corner ball from Barratt that asked the questions of the Rams defense and it was Harry Freedman who bundled it over the line to put his side ahead 20 minutes from time.

Lee Donafee made all 3 substitutions within the next 15 minutes trying to get his side back into the game but they were unable to have the desired impact. The home side were more than happy to slow the game down and waste time wherever possible. This frustrated the Rammy players and they let their displeasure be known with a mele in the Ramsbottom box.

Ekow Coker, Glossop’s number 6 retaliated and bagged himself a yellow card. The North End man of the match then managed to talk himself into a second yellow card for dissent to the referee and was sent for an early bath. This didn’t impact the remaining minutes of the match and the hosts ran out 2-1 winners.