by | Mar 8, 2024

Two victories to look back on as we take a glance into our non-league history and matches which took place on his respective Saturday and it’s 9th March … one defeat and a second washout in a row!

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League North Division

The start of spring, the warmer weather, the drier days and short sleeve order is just around the corner.  Nope, not a bit of it back in 2018 as, for the second week running, the Rams found themselves without a game as a waterlogged pitch put paid to the home game with Ossett Albion.


North West Counties League Division 1
(report from the Bury Times archives)

The Rams’ dire home form continued with another poor performance against an average Flixton side.

This defeat now leaves a mountain to climb for the Rams if they are to achieve a top six finish this season.

It was Flixton who started the brighter and within six minutes they took the lead from a free-kick.

While the Rams lined up a wall, quick thinking Ian Howard struck the ball over the players and curled it into the net from over 35 yards, easily beating Rams keeper Martin Campbell.

On 16 minutes, Carl Lomax squared to Steve Maden who shot towards goal. However, Craig Duncan made a good save.

Gareth Ormes was denied what could have been the goal of the season, shooting wide after taking on six players.

Flixton defended well and ventured for a second goal.

However, it was the Rams that nearly scored when Chris Nestor’s shot was palmed over the bar.

The Rams were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty in the 75th minute when Steve MacDonald looked to have been impeded.


North West Counties League Division 1
(report from Lancashire Telegraph archive)

Ramsbottom took the points in a game where the referee appeared to want to take centre stage.

Mr Whitehurst awarded two dubious penalties to the home side, one of which was ordered to be re-taken, but St Helens missed them both.

Goals from Andy Grimshaw and Chris Brookes secured the points after United had gone a goal behind early on.

On 13 minutes, St Helens went ahead against the run of play through new signing Brian Hatton.

But United were back on level terms within two minutes. Chris Willcock played a good ball in to Grimshaw who cut across and fired into the bottom left corner.

Just minutes later the visitors were shocked by the first of two strange penalty decisions.

St Helens forward Lee Cooper appeared to punch the ball away as he went down in the box under challenge from two Ramsbottom players.

The players thought the whistle had blown for a free kick but the ref had pointed to the spot.

Cooper stepped up to take it but Keith Nield produced a fine save.

Mid-way through the second half the ref awarded St Helens a second penalty after Cooper shot wide under pressure from Mike Smith.

Brian Hatton took it this time and scored, but the ref ordered it to be retaken after encroachment from St Helens players.

Hatton fired wide at the second attempt.

Ramsbottom got the winner 15 minutes from time after Brookes picked up a loose ball from a corner, went past two defenders and fired in a superb shot.

North West Counties League Division 2
(match report from Rossendale Free Press)

Striker Steve Johnson proved he can still score goals in his new role as a central defender.

Johnson bagged a goal in Ramsbottom United’s 3-1 victory against Formby and received plenty of praise from manager KenB Bridge.

Bridge said, “I think Steve will now continue playing for a few more seasons.  It is a little easier for him as a defender.

“Steve is very steady and organises the defence very well and is a good header of the ball.”

Steve Orrell continued his impressive record of scoring in every game since joining United.  Johnson’s fellow defender Jon Parkinson was also on target.

New signing Russell Brierley from Cheadle Town could be in the squad to face Bacup Borough and Darryl Hardman is expected to return from injury.

Bridge is looking for a victory to give his side a respectable mid-table position in the second division.

“I don’t want players to thing about the Second Division Cup match against Middlewich on the 23rd March”.