We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.



(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

On a blustery afternoon in north Derbyshire, both sides tried to play decent football but the wind created havoc, and with both defences looking strong, it always seemed as though one goal would settle this one. And so it proved.

Never the happiest of hunting grounds for the Rams, they were pleased to come away from Surrey Street with all three points after a hard fought encounter, not helped by some mystifying refereeing decisions.

Despite some flowing attacking moves, both defences held up well, with the towering Ian Flannery and Andy Dawson outstanding for the visitors.

It was the home side, however, who started the brighter. Kharas outpaced the visitors to latch onto a high ball, but Grant Shenton was out quickly to spot the danger, then he was well placed to hold onto a header when again a high ball outwitted the visitors back line.

Play moved to the other end where Mark Sharples tried his luck from 25 yards before Lee Gaskell fed Mark Drew, but the midfielder screwed his shot wide.

The Rams almost took the lead on 28 minutes when a fine run by James Rothel saw the defender feed Mick Morrison whose flick set up Mickey Saunders. His fierce drive was blocked for a corner, and minutes later Morrison teed up Sharples, but his effort from 25 yards sailed a couple of feet over the bar.

Morrison, himself, had a shot deflected for a corner, from which Dawson headed the ball back into the middle and Gaskell saw his header cleared off the line. Gaskell then tried to curl one in from the corner of the area, but the ball flew agonisingly past the far post.

Drew was inches away with a speculative effort from all of 30 yards, whilst at the other end Shenton had to be alert, firstly to deny Hartshorne who had turned superbly in the area before driving in a low shot, and then to race out of his goal as another high ball saw a home forward chasing towards goal.

Shenton was again called upon early in the second half when Oakes tried his luck, and Flannery ensured the scoreline remained blank with a superb last ditch tackle as Kharas was about to lash home a cross.

The drought was finally broken on 66 minutes. A free-kick from a central spot some 25 yards out, saw Dawson and Drew line up, and it was the latter who opted to strike, and some strike it was. He curled the free-kick round the wall and past the bemused McIlwaine in the home goal for what was to prove the winner.

Minutes later the home side created their best chance. An excellent run and cross from the right saw the ball deflected towards goal, where Shenton made a superb save low down by his right hand post.

Pressure from Dawson saw the ever-dangerous Kharas smash the ball over the bar when in on goal, then in injury time Birch headed over from a corner as the visiting defence held firm.

The final whistle was greeted with delight by the Rams bench as the three points were a deserved reward for a determined performance by the team against an equally hard-working Glossop side.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Shenton, Pilkington, Rothel(Shuttleworth 86mins), Drew, dawson, Flannery, Smalley, Morrison, Saunders(Johnson 72mins), Sharples, Gaskell(Dean 60mins). Subs not used: Sensale, O’Neill.



(Chris Boothman’s report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Derek Egan’s boys left Bower Fold feeling they had been robbed of all three North West Counties League Division 1 points after the hosts equalised eight minutes into stoppage time, despite an apparent lack of any serious injuries.

But if they are honest they will also rue the woeful finishing they were guilty of.

After picking up a solitary point in midweek the Rams were looking to hit back with a victory, and with the returning Adam Kozlowski stiffening up midfield the team knew they were capable of achieving it.

The line-up indicated an attacking approach with manager Egan choosing to start with both Daniel Stubberfield and Michael Saunders in a new look strike partnership up front.

The Rams started brightly and could quite easily have been a goal up in the opening 10 minutes.

Firstly, Adam Cook cut inside following a well disguised corner routine and hit a curling left foot drive that Curzon keeper David Fish palmed around the post.

Moments later Saunders struck a post from a tight angle with the goal at his mercy.

The home side were struggling to make many inroads into the Ramsbottom defence although their leading marksman John Utterson threatened Mark Andrews’ goal on 37 minutes with a dipping free-kick.

An in-swinging corner from David Birch was then headed back across goal and Utterson was again unfortunate to see his diving header fly inches beyond the wrong side of the upright.

The Rams failed to create any real chances to open the scoring and towards the latter part of the half were looking a little short of ideas, with both Chris Mackay and Adam Cook failing to deliver quality service to the front men.

The second period began with the Rams looking much more urgent and on 49 minutes Mackay fired the ball across goal, Fish fumbled and as Saunders attempted to fire home it appeared he was hauled down from behind, but the referee had other ideas.

Saunders continued to torment the Curzon back line and only a fine save from Fish denied him a goal when his attempted lob was tipped over the bar.

The constant pressure on the Curzon goal eventually reaped rewards when the ball fell for Mackay 25 yards from goal, and his first time snapshot flew into the bottom corner.
Saunders was given another great opportunity to double the lead on 64 minutes when he was found by an incisive through ball, but his fluffed shot was easily parried away by the body of Fish.

Curzon almost brought an equaliser but desperate defending saw Matt Raywood clear off the line and solid goalkeeping from Andrews kept the score at 1-0, as the clock approached the 90 minute mark.

As the hosts pushed forward in a desperate attempt to find an equaliser, the Rams continued to frustrate them and it was no surprise when Lee Kershaw was sent for an early bath on 90 minutes after an off the ball incident.

After a corner broke up inside the Rams’ area, subs Shaun Spence and Matt Edgington found themselves clear on goal, but a combination of misunderstanding and good defending denied the second goal that would have sealed the victory.

Then eight minutes into stoppage time, the home side scored after confusion inside the box allowed Stuart McGill to pounce upon the loose ball and fire beyond Andrews to give Curzon an unlikely point that they scarcely deserved.

The Rams must surely look to finish teams off instead of hanging on towards the end of matches, beginning with another tough away fixture on tonight at Glossop North End, kick-off 7.45pm.

RAMSBOTTOM: Andrews, Raywood, Skarratt, Kozlowski, Robertson, Blackley, Mackay, Denning, Saunders, Stubberfield, Cook. Subs: Brooks (for Cook), Spence (for Mackay), Edgington (for Stubberfield).



(Report from the Liverpool Echo archives)

It was a mundane affair at Skelmersdale where a Stuart Rudd strike defeated Ramsbottom to earn Russ Perkins’ side a valuable three points.

The Rams had made a bid to bring midfielder Karl Brown back to the Riverside. The former YTS player with Manchester United left the Rams during the summer to join Flixton.

But manager Ken Bridge put seven days notice on the player and hoped to have him back.

Warren Brierley was suspended for the game at Skelmersdale, Martin Hulme was unavailable and David Yorke-Robinson was doubtful with a rib injury.