Here is our latest edition of Rammy On This Saturday as we look back at the events on the pitch on the respective Saturday’s in our non-league history.


Having record a rare win in their previous game, it was a shame that the momentum of that Rushall Olympic victory was not able to be continued as the Rams sat without a game for two weeks.

And while there was plenty of encouragement from the performance of Garry Vaughan’s side, they would still head home from the West Midlands with another defeat, going down 2-1 at a freezing cold Halesowen Town, a 14th loss which kept us firmly rooted to the foot of the table.

There was lots to warm the hearts of the loyal Rammy following that made up a chunk of the 323 strong crowd on the bitterly cold afternoon but lapses in concentration would prove their undoing.

With Shelton Payne in the side, playing a lone striker role, he was often the thorn in the side of the mid-table Midlanders and could, on a more fortuitous day, have bagged more than the one he did get, from the penalty spot on the hour.

The youthful Rams played some attractive football on the rutted, uneven surface while the hosts were distinctly more ‘no-nonsense’.

The hosts took the lead on 58 minutes when Prince Hayward was believed to have handled the ball, presenting Reece Hales with a free-kick 25 yards out which he expertly curled around the wall for the opener.

But the Rams responded immediately as Payne, showing his normally trickery, was caught by a rash challenge and he stepped up to convert the spot kick to restore parity just two minutes after falling behind and the visitors were unfortunate not to take the lead moments later when the striker’s shot took a deflection and eased past the upright with the keeper stranded.

As the Rams visibly tired, the hosts took full advantage and a deserved point from the game was snatched away eight minutes from time when a corner found the unmarked Keyon Reffell at the back post to head past Grant Shenton.

It was a bitter blow on a bitter day.

RAMSBOTTOM TEAM v HALESOWEN TOWN 2015: Grant Shenton (capt), Robbie Bromley, Sam Grimshaw, Marcus Poscha, George Edmundson, Prince Hayward, David Kuba-Kuba (Aaron Smith 77mins), Matthew Crothers, Shelton Payne, Alex Meaney, John Pritchard. Subs not used: Jack Tuohy, Jake Cliffe, Liam Gibson, Charlie Doyle.


(Match report from the Lancashire Telegraph)

Ramsbottom United turned on the style in front of their biggest attendance of the season to maintain their promotion hopes.

Although they only had Joel Pilkington’s goal to show for their first half pressure, the Rams swept Runcorn away after the break with three further goals – including one for returning Carl Lomax after a brief spell at Bamber Bridge.

While the win cemented fourth place in the Vodkat Premier Division, the Rams were given an early wake-up call as Runcorn went close three times in the opening three minutes.

But Ramsbottom’s response was positive and Lomax and Jon Robinson both went close before Pilkington burst clear down the left, cut inside to confidently stroke the ball home.

After the break it was one-way traffic and Lomax made it 2-0 from the spot after Andy Sensale was brought down in the area.

Seven minutes later the match was over as a contest when a quick counter attack from a Runcorn free kick saw Robinson beat the offside trap to calmly slot home past the advancing keeper.

Substitute Matt Edgington was revelling in the space down the left-hand side.

He twice went close to scoring before finally netting in the 89th minute after latching on Barry Massey’s flick-on.

RAMSBOTTOM TEAM v RUNCORN LINNETS 2009: Damien Rooney, John Blackley, Kieron Fletcher, George Bowyer, Phil Dean (Matthew Edgington 67mins), Eddie O’Neill, Joel Pilkington, Carl Lomax, Jon Robinson (Barry Massey 67mins), Lee Connell, Andrew Sensale (Mark Sharples 72mins). Subs not used: Luke Bradley.


November 1998 was a strange month for the Rams. They played seven games in 22 days but only two of them were in the league and both resulted in disappointing defeats.

We were on something of a crest of a slump, enduring their fourth defeat in a row since beating Woodley Sports to reach the second round of the FA Vase at the start of the month.

The two league defeats came by the same scoreline – 0-1 – last week to Holker Old Boys and this week at home to Atherton Collieries – two sides that would finish the season in the bottom three.

Having exited a Lancashire knock-out on the Wednesday evening prior, going down 3-1 to Fleetwood Freeport, Ken Bridge certainly had his work cut out to galvanise the side.

As it was not exactly good form to be going into next Saturday’s FA Vase second round clash away at Bedlington Terriers.

He did have a game – unsurprisingly another cup game – in midweek as the league cup reared into view with a trip to Chadderton.