Edition number six of this series looking back at the events on the pitch on the respective Saturday’s in our non-league history.


After securing a battling 0-0 draw at home to Blyth Spartans on the previous Tuesday night – which brought our total of points for the season to three from our first 14 league games – experienced non-league manager Garry Vaughan was appointed to take the reigns from caretaker boss Phil Edghill ahead of this home match with Derbyshire-based Mickleover Sports.

He would be Rammy’s third manager in the space of five games and it was a much changed and extremely youthful XI that took the field with ten players under the age of 21 and two loanees from Oldham Athletic, Jordan Bove and Jack Tuohy, making their presence felt.

Tuohy tried his luck twice but was off target and the Rams were piling on the pressure as three further attempts, following a scramble in the visitors’ box was eventually cleared and, desperately against the run of play, Mickleover moved to the other end of the pitch and Jake Bennett stroked the ball past Grant Shenton to give them the lead on 15 minutes.

A much better defensive effort was keeping the Derby men at bay while debutant Liam Gibson, who impressed on his first start, tested the keeper with a well-struck free kick but the hosts were still lacking that cutting edge to hit the target throughout.

With twenty minutes left, Mickleover were reduced to 10 men. Bove chased a through ball but was upended by the last man in defence, Dwayne Wiley and he was sent to the dressing rooms. Disappointingly for the Rams, the offence was just outside of the penalty area and Max Harrop’s free kick was safely held by the keeper.

As the clock ticked into injury time, it was looking like another blank day for the Rams. That was until Bove raced onto a nicely weighted through ball and he picked his spot to slam home the equaliser.

It was a point but the performances in the last two games had certainly shown plenty of encouragement that the Rams could mount a charge to lift themselves from the depths of the league basement.

RAMSBOTTOM TEAM v MICKLEOVER SPORTS 2015: Grant Shenton, Marcus Poscha, Liam Gibson, Matthew Crothers, Jake Cliffe (Alex Meaney 56), Prince Hayward, Ben Woods, Sam Grimshaw, David Kuba-Kuba (Brayden Shaw 72), Jack Tuohy (Max Harrop 56), Jordan Bove. Subs not used: Luke Heron, Phil Edghill.


(Match report from the Lancashire Telegraph)

ALSAGER Town left the Riverside having committed daylight robbery in their win.

The home side were left bewildered as to how they had thrown away three points in a game they dominated, especially in the second half.

After United dominated the early stages, Alsager took the lead through Warburton.

But the Rams were soon back on level terms thanks to Andy Sensale’s header before Keiron Fletcher’s long range effort just cleared the bar.

The second half belonged almost exclusively to Ramsbottom and a succession of chances were created but none put away.

Having been under constant pressure for the entire second half, Alsager stole the points just two minutes left.

Drohan beat George Bowyer to the ball on the right, and he sent in a low cross that was gleefully met by the on-rushing Dean Williams, who poked home, unmarked, from six yards, to deflate the home side.

This is one match that co-manager Anthony Johnson has never forgotten – one of the most disappointing results in his early managerial career.

RAMSBOTTOM TEAM v ALSAGER TOWN 2009: Damien Rooney, John Blackley, Kieron Fletcher, George Bowyer, Phil Dean (Matthew Edgington 65), Bernard Morley (Barry Massey 73), Joel Pilkington, Mark Sharples, Jon Robinson, Lee Connell, Andrew Sensale (James Morley 87). Subs not used: Kane Bentley, Matthew Ellis.



In our first ever season participating in the FA Cup, we had made it through the preliminary round, the first qualifying round win over Shildon and the second qualifying success against Billingham Town.

Next up for the Rams was Conference side and FA Trophy beaten finalists from the previous season, Southport.

The ground had never seen anything like it! 829 people packed in the Riverside – at the time our highest ever attendance as FA Cup fever gripped the town.

However, the dream of great Wembley glory came to a halt as Brian Ross struck a hat-trick and David Gamble and Justin O’Reilly added further goals as we would lose the game 5-0 to the Sandgrounders.

It would turn out to be quite an adventure for the visitors that day, eventually reaching the third round proper before being knocked out by Leyton Orient in front of 4,950 spectators.

The Rams would finish 11th in the North West Counties – Southport would be 18th in the Conference behind winners Cheltenham Town.