Runcorn strengthened their quest for promotion with a dominant 4-0 victory over Ramsbottom on Saturday afternoon, as Lee Donafee’s search for a vital win stretched to seven games.

It was goals from Ryan Brooke, Dapo Olarewaju and two late on from Iwan Murray that did the damage to the visitors as Runcorn secured the points in what is now three games unbeaten in all competitions for them.

The game started off in competitive fashion with both teams having good chances early on, only a Runcorn defender keeping the scores level when he made an excellent block after Jake Thompson had taken the ball round the ‘keeper.

The hosts began to get a foothold in the game after twenty minutes and took the lead eight minutes later when Brooke was on hand to tap in a rebound that had ricocheted off the crossbar following a well struck effort from the edge of the area.

Ramsbottom looked to turn around the half time deficit and came out after the break fighting and battling for every ball.

Despite this Rammy were unable to keep possession for large periods allowing the home side to hit them on the counter attack as they pushed numbers forward in search of an equaliser.

On 84 minutes a freekick was given away on the halfway line by Domaine Rouse as he attempted to stop a counter attack, but Runcorn played the ball quickly down the left flank and a first time cross into the six yard box was bundled home by Dapo Olarewaju, with Tom Stewart only managing to get his fingertips to it.

The hosts then began to tighten their grip on the game, taking complete advantage of Ramsbottom committing men forward. Iwan Murray hit a brace in three minutes to put his side four goals to the good.

The first came on 88 minutes when his tricky footwork opened up space inside the 18 yard box and he slotted home into the bottom left hand corner.

His second came quickly after, on 91 minutes. Some great wing play from Olarewaju allowed him to feed the ball across the face of the Ramsbottom goal and it was a simple tap in at the back post for Murray’s second of the afternoon.

A disappointing result in all for Ramsbottom and they’ll be hoping that they can turn their fortunes around sooner rather than later with their next game at home to Newcastle Town on Saturday 23rd October.

Photos by Olivia Harman