Leckenby's Tea Rooms

Ramsbottom suffer another league defeat as the Purps do the league double over them.

Leckenby's Tea Rooms

A late winner from James Steele snatched all the points away from the Rams, the second half substitute managed to find the back of the net on 82 minutes when John McGrath whipped a dangerous ball into the 18-yard box forcing Harry Turner to palm it away but only as far as Steele who had acres of space to smash the ball home.

Coming into today’s encounter with City of Liverpool Lee Donafee had made three changes from the last outting at Prescot cables, he brought in Micheal Fitzgerald, Ryan Jennings and Jordan Southworth who made his fist start for the visitors.

There was no real action for the first fifteen minutes that was until there was a golden opportunity for Danny Mitchley to slot one home from ten yards out but Lugsden through himself infront of it and forced it out for a corner. The resulting corner was whipped into a swarm of players and Michael Croughan leaped above everyone else to fire it towards goal but Turner was there to deny him despite the home fans being adamant it had crossed the line.

Through out the first half Mitchley had an abundance of chances at the expense of the Rams goal and on 36 minutes he was rewarded with a goal due to a mix up between Owen Collinge and Harry Turner, the ball seemingly went through the legs of the on rushing Turner and fed the Purps through on goal as Turner scrambled back to make two impressive saves but it was third time unlucky as Mitchley slotted his effort home to give the hosts the lead.

It didn’t take long for Ramsbottom to react as three minutes later Billy Hasler Cregg made a solo run through on goal smashing it past the keeper leaving him with absolutely no chance as the ball flew into the right hand side of the goal.

As the second half began Rammy started off with a real rhythm to there play and on 55 minutes James Murphy picked up the ball from the left flank and he drove inside jinking past defenders, he found himself with nobody infront of him and he released a venomous effort which canoned off the crossbar. Murphy was involved in action at both ends as on 67 minutes he was there to provide a vital goal line clearence to deny Croughan’s header that was heading into the back of the net.

As the game headed into the closing stages there wasn’t many threats on goal from either side and both teams knew it was going to take some special to be able to find that winning goal. Then with 10 minutes remaining Jack Hazlehurst worked it well down the left channel and he fizzed a menacing ball into the box catching everyone off guard as it bounced of the crossbar but once again the visitors were able to get it clear.

Rammy brought on Comoy McNair for his debut and joining him was Will Hall and Aaqil Campbell unfortunately none of the substitutions could help the away side find any good fortune.

Then on 83 minutes the good luck certainly came to the home side as a rare Turner error allowed James Steele to capitalise and nick all three points for his side.

It was a tough and undeserved defeat for Ramsbottom to take. The Rammy lads had stuck to their game plan and made it hard for City of Liverpool to get a grip of the game. The defeat sees the Rams remain in 19th posotion on 18 points the same as bottom place Widnes who have a game in hand.

Report by Luke Hopkins.