by | Aug 16, 2023

Matt Dudley and Maine Walder celebrate with goalscorer Kuda Chingwaro.
NWC Premier Division • 15th Aug 2023
A real Jekyll and Hyde performance from the Rams meant the spoils were shared at the Harry Williams Riverside Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Leckenby's Tea Rooms

Ramsbottom started the game well dominating possession in the early knockings, however their first real chance didn’t present itself until the 25th minute when Matt Dudley broke through the defensive line of WDC to find himself one on one with goalkeeper.

Looking almost certain to score as he neared the goal, Dudley was brought down on the edge of the 18 yard box and the referee was left with a big decision to make. Despite the Rammy forward being in a goal scoring position and the last man bringing him down the defender managed to get away with just a yellow card.

Nevertheless, the hosts couldn’t dwell on the outcome as they had a freekick opportunity in a very dangerous area. Harvey Whyte was the man to step up and take it but rather than hitting it the attacking midfielder rolled it to Kuda Chingwaro who drove one under the jumping wall and past a full stretched goalkeeper into the bottom left corner to give his side the lead.

The home side continued to push for a second goal as the half progressed and on 38 minutes Dudley was brought down once more as he marauded forward. The Rams had another fantastic freekick scoring opportunity this time around 25 yards out.

It was Harvey Whyte who stepped up to take the freekick again but this time rather than laying it off the silky playmaker curled one into the top left corner giving Andrew Jones absolutely no chance of reaching it. It was a fantastic strike, that was hit with real venom and precision.

At half time Ramsbottom had been completely dominant and had a deserved two goal advantage. As the second 45 minutes began the hosts picked up from where they had left off and Chingwaro had a fantastic chance to get his second of the game but a wonderful last ditch block denied him.

The visitors knew they had to make changes and they did just that midway through the second half bringing on some big physical players to enhance their direct approach. Their change in style played dividends on 66 minutes as Rhain Davis turned home a lovely low cross from Rhain Hellawell.

The away side really got the bit between their teeth and they continued to push on as they searched for an equaliser and on 75 minutes they were extremally close to finding it as Foulds was denied by a wonderful Marshall save.

The continued bombardment from West Didsbury and Chorlton finally paid off on 87 minutes as Matty Cook’s deep cross wasn’t dealt with by Rammy and Lewis Billingsley was able to chest the ball down and smash home from a tight angle.

This was a game that Ramsbottom will learn a lot from and they will hope to right their wrongs as they travel to Mossley on Saturday for some FA Cup action.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Marshall, Collinge, Walder, Walker, Forbes, Radcliffe (c), Gallagher (Roscoe), Jenkins (Jackson), Dudley, Whyte, Chingwaro (Lockett). Subs not used: Sotona, Greenwood

Att: 295