by | Sep 1, 2023

It is time to look back on Saturday’s in our non-league history once again and what happened on Saturday 2 September across the years.

Evo-Stik North Division

Played 5, Won 3 and Drawn 2. An unbeaten start to the 2017/18 continued with a fine performance at the HWRS against Glossop North End which would see the Rams climb to second in the table and hopes abound for a promotion charge back to the NPL Premier under Mark Fell (no, honestly!).

This was despite falling behind on seven minutes when Glossop were awarded a penalty and former England Youth international Courtney Meppen-Walter cracked home the spot kick.

It was early domination from the visitors with the Rams restricted to a couple of long range efforts from Tom Brooks and Jamie Rother which didn’t seriously test Saunders in the Glossop goal.

But with the away side struggling to take their chances, the Rams hit back when Kyle Brownhill ran down the left flank and fired a low shot underneath the diving Saunders to level the scores.

It wasn’t long into the second period when the hosts hit the front. On 52 minutes, Daniels sent in a pinpoint cross from the right which found Jerome Wright who planted a perfectly placed header into the bottom corner.

With the Rams looking to hold onto their advantage into the last 15 minutes, it didn’t happen.

Glossop substitute Billy Hasler-Cregg embarked on a mazy run before sending a shot which hit the post before falling kindly to Ben Deegan who tapped into the net from six yards out to even the game up at 2-2.

Not to be deterred the home side retook the lead again when a long throw from Jerome Wright was flicked on and there was Hazeldine to head home his first goal of the season to restore the home side’s advantage.

With the clock ticking towards 90 minutes the sixth and final goal of a pulsating match arrived when a Meppen-Walter header was cleared off the line before the excellent Tom Brooks won a crunching challenge before setting up a devastating counter attack with Max Hazeldine running with the ball to the penalty box before passing to Greg Daniels who laid the match clinching goal on for the tireless Jamie Rother to tap into the net and give the Rams an unassailable lead.

Manager Fell commented on the victory after the game. “Our second half performance was an absolute pleasure to watch. It’s a big big win for us, confidence is high, but we won’t get carried away and we will need to raise our game again against Trafford on Friday.”

Ramsbottom United: Fearon, Poscha (Meaney 75), Brownhill, Stott, Thompson, Roscoe, Brooks (Webb 93), Rother, Richardson (Hazeldine 69), Daniels, Wright. Subs not used: Williams, Taberner.

2006 – NO GAME

FA Cup Preliminary Round

The Rams headed north to face Northern Premier League Division 1 side Gretna in the FA Cup and ensured that the Borders side will be hauled back down to the Riverside with an impressive 0-0 draw.

With the match being featured on Border TV, Ken Bridge’s side put on a show for the watching many/few with a superb defensive display to keep the game goalless although the visitors did have a great chance to take the game in normal time.

A last minute penalty was awarded to the Rams and the prolific Russell Brierley stepped up but the home keeper made a great save to ensure the game went to a replay.

North West Counties League Division 2

Having kicked off life in the NWCFL with a win away at Squires Gate in their first ever game, it was becoming a little more difficult at the new level with two draws and a 4-0 loss away at Nelson on the Bank Holiday Monday since that opening day success. And it wasn’t to improve on this day either.

(Report from Oldham Advertiser)

Oldham Town, with three new signings making their debut and full back Nick Stanley returning to action, took a while to settle down in this second division clash on Saturday.

Ramsbottom made all the early running and went ahead on 14 minutes when Mark Isherwood drove the ball home from the edge of the box.

But town debutant Richard Brown equalised after 27 minutes when his deflected free kick found the net from 25 yards out.

The goal lifted the visitors and after twice going close they finally took the lead through a Steve Hughes header.

Town then increased their lead after the break when Paul Hession converted a penalty after Dave Brown had been brought down in the area.

Town continued to dominate but it was Ramsbottom who scored next, reducing the arrears through Dave Aspinall with five minutes remaining.