by | Mar 1, 2024

Two wins, a draw and a postponement were the scorelines in our semi-professional era on this particular Saturday and it’s Saturday 2nd March.


Evo-Stik Northern Premier League North Division

It was the first of a couple of blank weeks for the Rams as March kicked off with a wash out as our scheduled trip to Brighouse fell foul to the weather.
We didn’t play for three weeks until we hosted Goole on 17 March …. when it snowed!


North West Counties League Division 1

Having walloped Formby just seven day previously 7-1, scoring five in the first 31 minutes, hopes were high of something similar when they headed to red squirrel country.

But football is not like that! A team scorned like they were at the Riverside were keen to bounce back hard.

There were no goals until the 69th minute when Liam McManus, who had scored two the week before, scored but not after the Rams were forced into making all three substitutions before the hour mark, including Sean Pearson replacing Steve Mainwaring after just 10 minutes.

McManus’ strike on 69 minutes gave the Rams the lead but Lee Mitchell would find an equaliser for the home side eight minutes later and they would ensure a share of the spoils on the day.

From 7-1 to 1-1 in the space of seven days … football, eh!


North West Counties League Division 1
(report from Lancashire Telegraph archives)

A Russell Brierley hat-trick saw Ramsbottom United mark their return to action in the NWCL First Division with a comfortable victory at lowly Leek.

The visitors made all the early running and it was no surprise when they went ahead after 15 minutes when Chris Willcock headed home a Steve Orrell cross.

And ten minutes later it was 2-0 as Brierley cashed in on a defensive error to open his account with a simple tap-in.

The struggling Staffordshire side hardly troubled the Ramsbottom defence and were constantly pegged back as United went for a third which duly came two minutes before the break when Brierley got the final touch after a fierce Willcock shot had been blocked.

Leek surprisingly pulled one back five minutes into the second half when Neil Robinson’s shot crept in at the far post but Ramsbottom restored their three-goal advantage when Brierley completed his hat-trick with an unstoppable 12-yard shot.

Brierley was then replaced by Mark Heyes who quickly got in on the act when he added the fifth with a shot into the roof of the net from a difficult angle.

Leek reduced the arrears 14 minutes from time as Ramsbottom took their foot off the pedal but the visitors soon regained control as they completed a fully deserved win.


North West Counties League Division 2 Trophy Semi-Final 1st Leg
(match report from Rossendale Free Press)

Ramsbottom United manager Ken Bridge admitted that his side are only at the halfway stage in the Second Division Cup semi-final clash against Middlewich.

Bridge allowed his players to celebrate for five minutes after the 2-0 win before bringing them back down to earth.

“Everyone rose to the occasion and we deserved our win,” said Bridge.

The only setback was the sending-off of Mark Keegan for dissent but United bounced back with second half goals from Steve Orrell and Phil Rose.

Bridge said, “They were brilliant goals and Rose had a tremendous match at centre-half. He marshalled the defence really well. Mel Burke was outstanding in midfield.”

Before the second leg match at the Riverside Ground, United have two important league matches.

United’s Reserves beat Daisy Hill 2-0 in the quarter-finals of the Reserve Division Cup.