OTS – 13th APRIL

by | Apr 12, 2024

Here’s this week’s look back on the events in Ramsbottom United’s non-league history “On This Saturday”.


2019 – NO GAME
Evo-Stik Northern Premier League West Division


Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division 1 North
(Tony Cunningham’s match report)

In a largely uninspiring game at a wet Harry Williams Riverside Stadium, Ramsbottom United did just enough to secure all three points, and complete a league double over visitors Lancaster City.

The home side started the brighter with leading scorer Lee Gaskell firing over in the second minute, before City keeper Danny McDonald had to cut out a dangerous looking low cross from Grant Spencer.

Spencer then set up Dominic Smalley but he drove his shot wide.

A good, flowing move involving a number of Rams players ended with Mark Drew firing in from the edge of the box, but he was off target.

At the other end, as the visitors finally cracked a solid looking home defence, Mark Ayres had to be alert to head off the line as City came closest to scoring on 24 minutes.

With neither goal looking severely under pressure, Gaskell had the home side’s best chance on 34 minutes when Spencer played him through, but a last ditch tackle prevented Gaskell from finishing the move.

Robinson then fed Spencer on the left, and his curling cross sailed inches wide of the far post.

Typical of the first half, it ended with first Robinson for the Rams then Ryan Elderton for City trying their luck from 25 yards, as neither side had looked likely to penetrate the opposing defence.

The second half, fortunately, moved up a gear, with more effort from both sides.

Simon Wills was unlucky for City when his effort took a deflection off Phil Edghill and sailed wide for a corner.

The first goal of the game did eventually arrive on 59 minutes, and it fell to the home side.

A ball played into the penalty area landed at the feet of Jon Robinson, who played it sideways for the unmarked Lee Gaskell who had the time and space to plant it past the exposed McDonald, to the relief of the home supporters.

Two minutes later, Lancaster were within inches of an equaliser. A header from Rory Winter was somehow kept out by home keeper Grant Shenton low down by his left hand post and scrambled to safety, and moments later Darren Green saw his shot deflected off a home defender for a corner.

On 67 minutes the hosts were close to doubling the lead when a corner from the left was cleverly flicked goalwards by Robinson, but McDonald was ideally placed to keep the ball out.

Just two minutes later, however, the City custodian was beaten as the Rams doubled their advantage.

Spencer found space on the left hand side of midfield, and as he strode forward, he planted a firm low drive which beat the keeper low by his right hand post.

On 76 minutes, Tom Kilfin saw his effort cleared off the line, but that was as close as the visitors came.

Danny Warrender, Spencer and Gaskell all went close for the Rams in the final minutes, but in the end the 2-0 victory proved sufficient enough to keep the home side well placed for the play-offs. For Lancaster, it was a case of plenty of effort, but very little in the way of end result, in a game that was for the most part forgettable.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Shenton, Warrender(Hulme 81mins), Pilkington, Drew(Purcell 76mins), Dawson, Ayres, Smalley, Edghill, Gaskell, Robinson, Spencer(Dean 81mins). Subs not used: Flannery, Morley


North West Counties League Division 1
(report from Bolton News archive)

The point earned by a brave battling performance from the Rams at Mossley came with a price as find of the season centre back Simon Woodford was taken to hospital after the game with a suspected broken arm and midfielder Carl Lomax broke his nose.

The home side took the lead just after the break with a penalty hotly disputed because the player had looked well offside.

United levelled on 63 minutes when John Phillips’ storming run and cross was diverted in by a home defender under pressure from Steve Orrell.

The Rams’ man of the match award went to keeper Paul Horridge.


North West Counties League Division 2

Preparation for the Rams’ eagerly antipated Division 2 Cup Final in midweek could not have been worse as they were hammered 4-0 away at third placed Tetley Walker as the first league season in the NWCFL edged to its conclusion, coming off the back of a disappointing 1-0 loss at home to Atherton Collieries on Easter Monday.

There is no match report for this game – the Rossendale Free Press didn’t mention the game as it was the start of the cricket season and much of their sports pages were taken up with Lancashire League content.

But the excitement for the Cup Final against Cheadle Town was palpable.

Ramsbottom United new signing from Cheadle Town Russelll Brierley nearly capped his debut with the winning goal against Nelson.

United fought back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Steve Orrell reducing the deficit with a lobbed effort just before half-time after Martin Hulme had provided the cross.

Hulme rifled home a thunderbolt for the equaliser.

The sickening blow came when Brierley saw his goal ruled out for off-side.

United take on Daisy Hill at home tomorrow and entertain Atherton Collieries on Easter Monday at 3pm.