We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.





(Report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

The visitors made the journey to the Riverside on the back of an indifferent start to the season, although the two previous meetings against the Rams had proved to be tight affairs.

The Rams were looking to return to winning ways after suffering consecutive defeats in previous weeks.

Derek Egan made changes to the line-up, adapting a more conventional formation, with Ewan Purcell returning to the side to partner Michael Saunders, who was no doubt relieved to relinquish his sole striking role. Chris Mackay was also restored to the starting line-up after overcoming injury.

After only two minutes Purcell hit a snapshot that flew marginally over the crossbar to indicate the pattern of the match.

The visitors struggled to come to terms with the passing game the home players were producing, and it was no surprise when the hosts eventually opened the scoring on 28 minutes.

Following a period of domination, Mackay delivered an inviting cross to the back post and after Bernard Morley headed across the face of goal, Purcell made up for his earlier miss by rising well to power home into the top corner, with Ben Morris motionless in the away goal.

The strike ended a superb move and richly deserved the rapturous applause that the knowledgeable home crowd gave it.

Throughout the remainder of the opening half the home side created numerous chances, and it was only a matter of time before the second goal was scored.

On 34 minutes an exciting move involving Gareth Brooks and Mackay ended in Saunders being given a sight of goal, but he unfortunately dragged his low shot wide of the far post.

The visitors were unable to create any good chances and it was no surprise to see Ramsbottom keeper Mark Andrews having a quiet game.

After 39 minutes Saunders was put through on goal and his had his low shot was thwarted by Morris, Adam Kozlowksi was given a great chance, but his drive was then somehow cleared off the line by Chris Collins.

The half-time whistle went with the home side content with their overall performance, but realising that the second goal would be vital before their could relax.

The second half was more of the same, with Ramsbottom threatening to run riot.

A speculative effort from Bill Robertson flew inches over the angle of bar and post.

Moments after the hour mark the lead was doubled, when Morley fired a stunning left foot drive that crashed into the back of the net off the underside of the crossbar.

On 77 minutes Purcell grabbed his second of the match by pouncing on an incisive pass from substitute Matt Walsh and calmly slipping the ball under the advancing Morris.

The home team were producing an excellent display of football and only a fine performance from Morris in the Squires Gate net restricted the Rams from posting a cricket score.

The victory was sealed on 82 minutes when Morley capped off a fine individual performance by curling the ball into the top corner from 25 yards.

Even the introduction of three substitutes by Egan did not disrupt a splendid display, one of which supplied an inviting cross for Purcell to seal his hat-trick, but his out-stretched leg was unable to poke the ball home from six yards.

This display typified why the Rams are considered as potential challengers come the end of the season.

Both defence and attack performed to a high level, and the return of Purcell appeared to help, with his aerial threat linking well with the flair and pace of Michael Saunders.

With other results going in favour of the Riverside outfit, an assault on the top three will surely be the next challenge for Derek Egan’s boys.

Ramsbottom: Andrews, Raywood, Brooks, Kozlowski, Robertson, Blackley, Hoyle, Purcell, Saunders, Morley, Mackay. Subs: Walsh (for Saunders), Hayes (for Hoyle), Skarrett (for Brooks).


NWCFL Challenge Cup Round 1

(Report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Ramsbottom United sailed into the FNWTL Challenge Cup second round by the slenderest of margins after beating Collieries for the fourth time this season in a match which was postponed on Saturday.

In spite of the conditions, Ramsbottom created first half openings and played some good football. One particularly excellent run down the right by Mike Garside was spoiled when he elected to shoot with both Russell Brierley and Yorke-Robinson unmarked.

On 35 minutes Karl Brown picked up a rib injury and was replaced by Brendan O’Shaughnessy.

Just before the break with the yellow card count rising, Atherton were reduced to 10 men when skipper Liam Bowden was sent off for a second cautionable offence.

The second half began scrappily with the appalling conditions making good football almost impossible, but as the game wore on, Ramsbottom looked in control.

Russell Brierley’s pace as usual was causing the home side problems, and with 15 minutes to go, he got in a tremendous header which was somehow cleared off the line by full back Smith.

With just eight minutes remaining, United finally got the breakthrough when O’Shaunessey’s free kick found Jamie Rampling, and his low shot could only be helped into the net by an Atherton defender.