We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.



(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

After a disappointing couple of results, the Rams returned to form in the best possible way, against a side defending a ten match unbeaten league run, by defeating them 2-0 on their own patch.

The visitors, however, were full value for a win that should have been by a higher margin, as they dominated the game for long periods.

They made their intentions known from the off, and created four chances in the opening five minutes. Jon Robinson’s angled drive in the first minute was too weak to beat Scott in the home goal, Mark Drew fired over from the edge of the box, Robinson set up Phil Dean whose fierce effort was turned on to the post, then Joel Pilkington’s directed header rebounded back into play from inside the same post.

Barry Shuttleworth joined the action and his floated cross just cleared the bar, as the Rams dominated the early play, kicking up the notorious Holt House slope.

Then, on 12 minutes, with their first meaningful attack, Colne had the ball in the back of the net. A dreadful back header from Ian Flannery looped over Grant Shenton in the Rams goal, and Barrett raced in to push the ball over the line, only for the linesman to indicate that he had used his hand. A lucky let-off for what would have been a dreadful goal to concede.

Barrett had another chance to open the scoring on 19 minutes, when a left wing cross evaded the visiting defenders and fell invitingly for him. However, he completely missed his kick and the score stayed level. Barratt must have known it wasn’t his day when a minute later another mix-up between Flannery and Shenton saw the two of them collide at the edge of the box and the ball fell to Barratt staring at an open goal. He miscued his shot and it was going widewhen Andy Dawson intervened and almost redirected it into his own net!

Play then returned to the other end, as Drew fired a free-kick directly at the keeper, before the same player was fed by Phil Dean and his strike was stopped by the legs of Scott and Pilkington’s follow-up was also blocked. A Drew free-kick from the half-way line sailed over everyone’s head and Dawson was inches away from converting at the far post.

Mark Sharples saw his backward header from a Dominic Smalley cross miss the post by inches, but he did not have to wait too long to score a rare goal for the Rams.

On 44 minutes, Drew spotted Robinson in the box, and he flicked the ball back for the on-rushing Sharples who made no mistake from 15 yards, to give the visitors a well-deserved half-time lead.

The second half continued with the Rams having the upper hand. Drew had another effort denied by a fine diving save, then had a valid claim for a penalty turned down as he was upended in the box. However, on 50 minutes, Drew fired in a vicious free-kick from the left, and it took a deflection for a corner, which Dean floated in for Dawson to outjump the home defence and nod into the top corner for the Rams’ second goal.

Shenton had to be on his guard to dive to his right to keep out a rare Colne attack before the home side were reduced to ten men after 64 minutes. Heys, who had been booked in the first half, brought down Dean on the left-wing, and received a similar punishment, leaving the home side a mountain to climb, almost literally.

Flannery fed Robinson following a corner, but his close range effort nestled into the side netting , whilst moments later the same player saw an effort cleared off the line.

Shuttleworth clipped the bar following a flowing four man move, and substitute Andy Sensale saw a header brilliantly tipped over, as the Rams continued to dominate the game. Shuttleworth again came close when his free-kick went inches wide, then Sensale had the ball in the back of the net, only for the linesman to flag for offside against Mickey Saunders..

Sensale, at the end of another dangerous move, smashed his shot against the bar, whilst a 20 yard drive from Pilkington went inches over.

Colne tried to salvage a consolation in the dying minutes, but the Rams defence, with Dawson in particular outstanding, marshalled themselves well to ensure that the Rams kept a clean sheet.

This was a return to the form that has entertained the supporters for much of the season. The whole side played well, defended whenever necessary and looked to have a bagful of goals in them. On another day, they could have notched five or six, and had they done so against Colne, the home side, who themselves have had a terrific run of form, would have had little cause to complain.

An excellent performance.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Shenton, Warrender, Shuttleworth, Pilkington, Dawson, Flannery, Smalley (Sensale 76mins), Drew, Robinson (Saunders 76mins), Sharples, Dean (O’Neill 82mins). Subs not used: Rothel, Gaskell





(Match report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Ramsbottom United live to fight another day after being behind three times to plucky and unlucky Second Division outfit Squires Gate in a pulsating FA Carlsberg Vase first round tie.

The home side made a strong and confident start and it was 11 minutes before the visitors even had a shot on target through Brendan O’Shaughnessy.

With half time a couple of minutes away, Squires Gate grabbed the all important first goal. Steve Longworth slipped past Warren Brierley and his low cross to the back post was turned in by Richard Burgess.

In a firercely fought contest, the Rams came up with an equaliser, Russell Brierley scoring from close range on 63 minutes.

But five minutes later, Gate were back in front when, the ball was only half cleared and Longworth hammered home a powerful drive through a crowded penalty area.
It was the 88th minute before O’Shaughnessy came up with a 20-yard stunner to take the game into extra time.

Squires regained the lead in the 105th minute, Lee Rushton scoring with a perfect chip.

The home side had Glenn Miller was sent off for two cautionable offences and with a couple of minutes left Yorke-Robinson fired in the equaliser.