We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2011, 2005 and 2000.



(Report from the very old RUFC website)

The overnight deluge and the continuance during Saturday morning led to the match with Stone Dominoes being called off with the Harry Williams Riverside Stadium pitch struggling to contain the water.

The eleven o’clock postponement prevented the visitors from making the lengthy journey up from Staffordshire.



(Report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Following an impressive run in the league that has seen a rise to fourth place, including a significant victory over the league leaders, Ramsbottom were brought back down to earth again by a Dominoes side eager to impress.

Although the midweek defeat in the Marsden Trophy may have had an underlying effect on the mentality of some of the players, the Rams are renowned as a side capable of returning to winning ways after a setback.

This never appeared likely against Stone and the visitors left the Riverside content they had gained a well deserved three points.

The team sheet remained largely unchanged with the only exception seeing the return of Matt Edgington in place of Kyle Ingham.

The Stoke-based outfit were missing key players Nick Ward and Dave Shaw, but still had enough confidence to complete the double over the Rams, after their crushing victory earlier in the season.

Both sides began the match slowly with a midfield battle largely dominating the pattern of the game.

After 15 minutes a slick interchange between Edgington and Chris Mackay ended with the former forcing a smart save from Rob Hackney at his near post.

As the half continued the hosts were controlling the tempo of the encounter but were struggling to deliver a telling cross that would bring the opening goal. Edgington and Mackay were having some joy against the Stone fullbacks but on numerous occasions their final ball lacked sufficient quality to test the defence.

Edgington was unlucky to see another low drive palmed away to safety and the skilful winger looked the most dangerous outlet on the Ramsbottom side.

Bernard Morley saw a diving header after 37 minutes comfortably gathered in by Hackney as the home side were unable to breakdown a resolute defence.

As the half neared its conclusion, the visitors opened the scoring despite being against the run of play, when Jon Paul Jones was allowed to beat his marker before slipping the ball beyond Mark Andrews into the empty net.

The second half began with the Rams attempting to fight their way back into the match.

However, they were guilty of not being able to step up an extra gear when required and the visitors were allowed to run out comfortable winners.

Even the introduction of Ewan Purcell was unable to spark the Rams into action, although with his first touch he forced Hackney into a heroic save to keep Stone in front.

After leaving his marker standing, Purcell ran through on goal before attempting a left foot drive that seemed destined for the bottom corner before Hackney somehow parried the ball behind for a corner.

This was a turning point in the match and gave the rest of the Stone team the confidence required to push forward in search of the vital second.

This duly arrived after 70 minutes following a rare mix-up in the Ramsbottom defence, allowing Paul Taylor the freedom to power the ball through the grasp of Andrews and across the goal line.

Matt Walsh showed a few nice touches following his introduction but overall the Rams performance was flat.

With other results not going the Riversiders’ way, they will be looking to bounce back this Saturday when they travel to take on Atherton LR, kick off 3pm.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Andrews, Raywood, Cook, Kozlowski, Robertson, Blackley, Mackay, Hayes, Saunders, Morley, Edgington. Subs: Walsh (for Mackay), Purcell (for Saunders), Fletcher (for Morley).



Having played Prescot Cables in the league the previous Saturday at The Riverside and hammered them 6-2 with a brace each for Brendan O’Shaughnessy and Russell Brierley, it was rather expected that the Rams would produce something similar in Round 2 of the North West Counties League Cup at Valerie Park.

It was not to be the case though as the Rams were dismissed 3-1 with only Neil Wallace’s goal to speak of.

The Rams were in three Cup competitions that week – the LFA Trophy on the previous Tuesday against Accrington Stanley, this NWCFL League Cup and then the long awaited Floodlit Trophy Round 1 replay against Rossendale United.

We lost all three with 4-2 defeats to Stanley, despite being 2-0 up early on while the Floodlit Trophy replay – from a game played 17 weeks previously – went the same way results wise with Steve Orrell and Mike Langhorn on the scoresheet for the Rams.