In the first of a new series, we will look back at events that took place on this respective Saturday across Rammy’s semi-professional history.


Rather unfortunately, this series doesn’t start in the best possible fashion and subsequent versions through this season won’t make for pretty reading as the last Saturday 12th September came in the 2015/16 season – a season that the Rams didn’t win a match until late October under Rammy legends Jon Robinson and Phil Edghill.

Having picked up just one point from our opening eight games in the Northern Premier Division – a 1-1 draw at Whitby Town on an August Wednesday night – we took a much needed break from league action and headed into the Peak District for a FA Cup first qualifying round encounter with Buxton.

A third minute penalty for Buxton gave Rammy the worst possible start for the much-changed lineup but we created some excellent chances during the first half, including a debate offside Lee Gaskell goal but making amends with an excellent 20th minute strike that made it honours-even at the break.

The second half saw The Bucks much more composed and enjoying the lion’s share of possession before they inevitably took the lead and the win just short of the hour mark. Grant Shenton in the Rammy goal got his hands to a weak Bradley Barraclough shot, but failed to control the ball which slipped through his fingers to creep inside the near post.

It was a disappointing result from a team which was always going to be up against it, missing quality players such as Melford Knight, Lee Pugh, Charlie Russell and Max Harrop. Manager Jon Robinson dusted off his boots and put in a great shift up front, showing some of the quality of old alongside long-term strike partner Lee Gaskell, with Assistant Manager Phil Edghill yet again doing a sterling job as a make-shift centre-half.

RAMSBOTTOM TEAM v BUXTON 2015: Grant Shenton, Jamie Rother (Tom Hartley 75), Phil Edghill, Ben Woods (Prince Haywood 70), Kyle Harrop, David Kuba-Kuba, Luke Heron, Alex Meaney, Andrew Fitzgerald (Kieran Nolan 53), Jon Robinson, Lee Gaskell. Subs not used: Clevon Beadle, Andy Dawson, Charlie Russell, Jake Cliffe.


The season hadn’t started particularly well in the first season under Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley with the much vaunted 0-5 loss to Newcastle Town and a 2-2 draw at home to Glossop North End but they had recorded five wins from their next six games by the time this trip to Nelson came around and we kept up our recent good form in the Vodkat Premier League with a well-earned victory at our local Valley rivals.

First half goals from Carl Lomax and Johnson sealed the points and took the Rams up to sixth place in the table.

Ramsbottom took the game to their hosts – although they really should have conceded an early goal. Lance Ogunyode had a great chance to open the scoring for Nelson after escaping the Rams rearguard but his low shot was save by keeper John Ogden.

But it was Ramsbottom who looked the more likely to open the scoring and that was the case after 22 minutes when Lomax smashed home from close range after good link-up play with Johnson.

Bernard Morley, Joel Pilkington and Eddie O’Neil all went close to scoring before Ramsbottom double their lead – Pilkington crossing from the right and Johnson rising to thump home a header.

After the break, Nelson were denied a penalty when Ogunyode went down in the box but Matt Edgington nearly capped off a fine display for the Rams but fired inches wide after a mazy 50 yard run.

RAMSBOTTOM TEAM v NELSON 2009: John Ogden, John Blackley, Kieron Fletcher, George Bowyer, Barry Shuttleworth, Bernard Morley, Eddie O’Neill (Andrew Sensale 69), Joel Pilkington, Carl Lomax, Anthony Johnson (Matthew Ellis 69), Matthew Edgington.. Subs not used: Barry Massey, Joshua Hill, Mark Sharples.


It had been a bit of a mixed bag at the start of the 1998/99 season, having to wait until our fifth game of the season before getting our first win, a 2-0 away win at Atherton Collieries in the NWCFL Division 1.

So a trip to Rivacre Park to play third place Vauxhall GM awaited after our midweek FA Cup exploits and we welcomed Simon Mellor back following a long injury lay-off.

Midfielder Mellor had recovered from a broken arm but Steve Brennan was doubtful after picking up a knock in the replay win over Maine Road and Steve Orrell is missing because of cricket commitments.

Mellor grabbed Rammy’s second goal after Paul Thompson has cracked the first but we would fall to a 3-2 defeat, which broke our unbeaten run of five games.