by | Apr 19, 2024

Oscar Radclliffe threatens from a Rammy corner kick.

NWC Premier Division • 18 April 2024
Promotion-chasing Padiham arrived at the HWRS looking for three valuable points in their quest for a play-off place, and left with them safely tucked away in a game that the score-line doesn’t really reflect the play.
Leckenby's Tea Rooms

The difference between the two teams was the ability to convert chances. Padiham managed it three times, whereas the Rams failed to find the net for the second successive game.

Leckenby's Tea Rooms

Played in poor conditions due to the constant rainfall and on a muddy pitch that cut up as the evening progressed, the home side began in lively fashion with Matty Birchall firing straight at Matt Hamnett in the Padiham goal after just three minutes, whilst a Tom Walker cross just sailed over the bar.

Tyler James was denied for the visitors by home keeper Chris Thompson, before a fine effort by Henri Ogunby just failed to find the net.

As the game swung from end to end, the deadlock was eventually broken after 26 minutes when a through ball found Jack Price, who outpaced the home defence to slide the ball past Thompson to give Padiham the lead.

The Rams were not deflated as they continued to probe at the away defence, with Oumar Camara denied by a controversial offside decision as he had looked to notch an equaliser after Birchall’s shot had been parried.

So, a slender lead for Padiham at the break, and upon the resumption, the home side went all out for an equaliser. Harvey Hayhurst’s angled shot flew past the far post before Roman Allen was denied by some desperate defending.

Oscar Radcliffe was the next to try his luck, but his deflected effort flew inches wide of the post.

Padiham retorted with a free-kick that was inches wide before notching the second on 67 minutes when a speculative angled lob sailed over Thompson to give the visitors a cushion.

Still the Rams refused to lie down. A low cross was inches away from being converted by Oumar Camara, whilst Ogunby saw his shot clear the bar.

Another dangerous ball into the box failed to find a Ramsbottom foot, and then Padiham sealed the points on 85 minutes when a low drive in from the left, was easily tucked away at the far post by Joel Brownhill.

Harvey Hayhurst somehow scooped the ball over from close range before the final whistle sounded on a competitive contest in which a weakened Ramsbottom United team gave as good as they got, with the exception of finding the back of the net.

Manager Steve Wilkes agreed, “I don’t think we deserved to lose the game 3-0 but unfortunately that’s what the score-line says”.

“Once again we’ve been done by an awful decision at 1-0. We scored a perfectly good goal to equalise but the linesman seemed to think Oumar was offside when he was three yards on.

“We need to dust ourselves down and go again in our final home game tomorrow”.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Thompson, Radcliffe, Walder, Walker(Lawless 80mins), Allen, Butterworth, Ogunby, Birchall, Camara, D.McMahon, Hayhurst. Subs not used: Lent, Lucas, Sephton, Wood.

Att: 179