Leckenby's Tea Rooms

Rammy secure their first point of 2023 on the road at Hanley Town after a hard fought battle.

Leckenby's Tea Rooms

This was Ramsbottom’s fourth straight away game of 2023 and they had yet to pick up a point in the new year. After a heart breaking late defeat at the weekend against City of Liverpool, the Rams knew that they must get a result in this one.

Manager Lee Donafee made just the one change to his side and that was the young goalkeeper Mathew Frampton coming in to make his debut replacing Harry Turner.

It was a slow start from the Rams with 18 year old Frampton being called into action just four minutes into the game denying Eden Bailey with some courageous goalkeeping. The visitors slowly began to grow into the game being able to keep possession for sustained periods of time and their first chance came the way of James Murphy 16 minutes into the first period, but his effort was well saved.

Just 20 minutes into the match the away side were forced into their first substitution as Danny Mckenna had to be replaced by the returning Will Hall. It didn’t take Hall long to get involved in the action as he struck a venomous effort from 20 yards out that caused the goalkeeper all sorts of problems.

Ramsbottom were really beginning to pile on the pressure the more the first half progressed and if it wasn’t for some excellent goalkeeping from Kieran Harrison to deny Ryan Jennings then the Rams would have gone into the break with a deserved lead. However, moments before the whistle was blown for half time Rams number Matty Frampton was called into action once more saving with his feet from point blank range.

With the scores level going into the second 45 minutes Rammy came back out with the same hunger and desire that they had finished the first. The forwards for the visitors were eager to press from the front and they repeatedly forced errors from the Hanley back line.

The away side had another fabulous chance when a sensational corner ball from Murphy fell at the feet of Tony Donaldson but he wasn’t able to get his head over the ball and it flew over the crossbar. The Rammy gaffer was set on all three points in this encounter and he brought on attacking re-enforcements in the shape of Comoy Mcnair and Henri Ogunby. On 71 minutes Billy Hasler-Cregg had a massive
appeal for a penalty after he was bundled over inside the 18 yard box but the referee wasn’t interested and waved it away.

Ramsbottom continued to push for a winner as the game was coming to a close and just eight minutes before the end James Murphy found himself one on one with the goalkeeper after some dazzling footwork to get past the defenders but, Murphy just couldn’t convert the chance and his side were still searching for that all elusive goal.

Then with just moments left of the match the Rams number one was called into action twice in quick succession, the first once again coming from point blank range that he managed to get down and save well with his feet and the second came with the last touch of the match. It was a sensational strike from the far left hand side from Hanley but somehow at full stretch Frampton was able to get a hand to it and turn it over the bar.

The Rams are finally back at home on Saturday 4th February as they take on Glossop in a must win game.

Ramsbottom United: 1 Matthew Frampton, 2 Michael Fitzgerald, 3 Owen Collinge, 4 Kelvin Lugsden, 5 Luke Barlow, 6 Ryan Jennings (Henri Ogunby 73′), 7 Jordan Southworth, 8 Daniel McKenna(Will Hall 19′), 9 Billy Hasler-Cregg(Ramoy McNair 62′), 10 Anthony Donaldson, 11 James Murphy. Subs: 12 Daguil Campbell, 14 Henri Ogunby, 15 Ramoy McNair, 16 Oscar Radcliffe, 17 Will Hall