We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.


(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

Another win and another three points in the Rams quest to catch up with New Mills at the top of the table, courtesy of a single strike from the prolific Phil Dean which gave the hosts a 1-0 win over Atherton LR.

This may not have been the most convincing performance of the season, but despite the close score-line, it was a game that the home side deserved to win, and that was courtesy of a 22nd minute strike from winger Phil Dean. He gathered the ball in the corner of the penalty area and fired home a low drive into the far corner of the net for what proved to be the only goal of the afternoon.

The Rams had seen earlier chances fall to Andy Sensale. On 8 minutes he turned in the box and fired in a shot that was palmed round for a corner, and then he was inches away from connecting with a Dean cross.

Dean was having a fine game on the left, and on the half-hour he cut inside and unselfishly fed Mark Drew, but his effort was turned round by the visiting keeper. Dean was again in the thick of the action as half-time approached, as he jinked in from the left only to see his fierce drive tipped over the bar.

Grant Shenton, in the home goal, had to be alert in the opening minutes of the second half as he was forced to tip over a drive from 15 yards, but the main chances continued to fall for the home side.

Joel Pilkington fired over following a neat one-two with Sensale, before Andy Dawson was inches away from connecting with a free-kick.

Drew saw his header hacked off the line and then had a free-kick gathered at the second attempt by the visiting custodian, before Atherton finally found the confidence to attack the home defence.

Shenton had to turn an attempt round for a corner, whilst a number of efforts rained down on the Rammy goal, but fortunately they sailed the wrong side of the woodwork.

On 77 minutes, the Rams should have made the game safe. A cross from the right fell invitingly for Joel Pilkington, but his drive bounced back off the underside of the crossbar, and Jon Robinson took too long in trying to pick a spot for the rebound and his tap in was cleared.

Lee Gaskell did have the ball in the net, but the linesman adjudged that he had strayed offside as he raced on to Robinson’s though ball.

Robinson then saw his header deflected for a corner, and Drew should have made the game safe in injury time, but failed to find the target.

Co-manager Anthony Johnson was satisfied with the result. “I thought we dominated the game, and restricted their chances. I was a little nervous towards the end with only the one goal in it, but we kept a good balance at the back, and I never really felt we were under any threat. I was pleased with the workmanlike performance.”

The result leaves the Rams handily placed in third spot, and the victory was the side’s tenth from the last twelve League encounters.

Before this game, a number of Atherton LR supporters completed a 15 mile sponsored walk to the Harry Williams Riverside Stadium. They hoped to raise sufficient funds to enable the club to replace 90 yards of copper wiring that was stolen from their Crilly Park ground last week, resulting in no electricity in the stadium. The expected cost of replacement is around £1800.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Shenton, Warrender, Rothel (Gaskell 70mins), Pilkington, Dawson, Flannery (Shuttleworth 20mins), Smalley, Drew, Sensale (Robinson 69mins), Sharples, Dean, Subs not used: Ince, Saunders



The Rams continued their recent good form on the back of midweek victories over Atherton LR in the league and Consett in the FA Vase with a 2-0 success over Newcastle Town.

If you had read the ‘Have We Met’ feature from last week’s match against Newcastle, you would know that this was something of a rarity but it was actually our third win in four against them … heady times indeed!

164 spectators came to the Riverside to see Michael Saunders grab a brace for the home side.

It was a much needed win in the league after the side had picked up just three points from the previous 12 with three draws before defeating LR under the Riverside lights 10 days previously.

A run of three wins in a row would have them raring to go ahead of the League Cup game with Alsager Town the following Saturday……



(Match report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

A GUTSY second half show by the Rams was ruined when Vauxhall nicked a point with virtually the last kick of the game.

The visitors’ Nicky Young latched on to a long through ball after 18 minutes before hitting a right foot shot that took a wicked deflection off Carl Trimble, leaving keeper Gary Stones helpless.

The home side came more into the game and David Yorke-Robinson headed over, but the visitors ended the half the livelier.

The torrential rain failed to dampen Ramsbottom’s spirits and they began the second period with a bang. Trimble hit the woodwork and Steve Orrell headed the equaliser.

Then on 51 minutes, Jamie Ramplin fired a 20-yard free kick past the bemused Steve Hilton in the Vauxhall goal, as the rampant Rams had Brendan O’Shaughnessy and Ramplin bringing Steve Brennan more and more into the game.

But the Ellesmere Port were reduced to 10 men on 65 minutes when Carl Spellman was sent off.

Yorke-Robinson then fired a low cross that eluded everyone as Vauxhall rode their luck.

Although a man short, Motors still looked dangerous and with the game into stoppage time, Blundell fed substitute Mark Riley whose goalbound effort was brilliantly turned on to the crossbar by Stones, only for it to rebound into the net with seconds to go.