We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.



(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

Ramsbottom United completed a league double over a determined Maine Road side, thanks to a couple of long-range strikes from Mark Drew, as they came from behind to win 2-1 and claim the points.

It was the visitors who started brighter with Ford firing in an effort which Grant Shenton in the home goal did well to deal with before the south Manchester side took the lead in the 14th minute.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED 2 MAINE ROAD 1 2010Sloppy defending allowed Road’s winger Beckford space to take the ball to the left-hand by-line, and his cross fed Ini-Ibehe who had the simple task of side-footing the ball hone from six yards.

Within minutes Lee Gaskell came close to equalising for the Rams, as he was firstly adjudged offside when netting, then he blazed over the bar, having cut into the area from the left and creating space for himself.

Maine Road continued to look dangerous pushing forward, and Ini-Ibehe and Ford both snatched at chances inside the home penalty area, but failed to find the target.

At the other end, Road keeper Jones needed two attempts to hold on to a fierce Mark Drew drive, and a fine run down the left from Phil Dean saw his cross miss the head of Dominic Smalley by inches. Then a free-kick fell invitingly for Gaskell and his header looped over the advancing keeper for Ian Flannery, but his header sailed over the bar, as the home side looked to level the scores.

Gaskell again beat the keeper to a high cross from ex-Maine Road man James Rothel, but his effort sailed wide of the post, whilst at the other end Road missed an excellent opportunity to double the lead on 36 minutes. The ball fell kindly for the visitors, and in a two against one situation the ball was played too far wide for the unmarked Maine Road forward and the chance went begging.

Two minutes later the Rams made them pay. Drew gathered the ball 25 yards out and drove in a low shot which seemed to confuse Jones and the ball nestled in the back of the net to level the score.

Drew almost gave Ramsbottom the lead on the stroke of half-time when his angled free-kick was pushed away by a relieved Jones, and the teams went in at 1-1.

Smalley almost grabbed the lead on 52 minutes when he danced down the left-wing past a couple of challenges, but his cross only found the side netting, but just 2 minutes later, Drew scored an almost identical goal from 20 yards, as the diving keeper couldn’t quite stop the low drive that gave the home side the lead.

Phil Dean should have done better on 69 minutes when he blazed a glorious chance over the bar, and that gave the visitors hope.

As the game wore on, more chances were being created in the Ramsbottom penalty area, and more so when the visitors went down to ten men for the last 10 minutes. Ini-Ibehe was injured in a challenge from Mark Sharples which earned a yellow card, and with all three substitutes already on, the visitor’s were forced to play out the game a man short. However, one would never know it, for it was they who piled on the pressure as the game wound down. Fortunately the home defence managed to repel the threat and hold on for an important and hard-earned three points.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Shenton, Warrender, Rothel, Pilkington, Dawson (Shuttleworth 33mins), Flannery, Smalley, Drew, Gaskell (Sensale 77mins), Sharples, Dean (Saunders 77mins) Subs not used: Johnson, Lea



(Report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Ramsbottom crashed out of the FA Vase with a resounding defeat at Skelmersdale United.

Despite having much of the possession it soon became clear that the visitors were lacking a target man to link with Michael Saunders, who had no joy all game against the experienced defensive partnership.

After a crushing defeat in their previous game and also seeing their opponents put five past Lancaster City in midweek, there were mixed feelings over the possible outcome of the match.

Could the Rams return to winning ways or would Skelmersdale continue to seemingly score goals at will? The performance appeared to reflect the latter of these statements as only a sterling display from goalkeeper Mark Andrews kept the score respectable.

The pattern of the game emerged in the opening seconds when Skem’s Carl Osman tested Andrews with a fierce shot destined for the bottom corner.

Further hesitation between Bill Robertson and Andrews gave Osman another chance on 10 minutes but the keeper was equal to the task.

However, from the resulting corner another poor clearance found Michael Cole and his teasing cross was nodded into the back of the net by Lee Thompson, who added to his impressive tally of 22 goals already this campaign.

The Rams eventually began to get to grips with the pace of the game but, despite having plenty of possession, all they had to show for their efforts were half chances for Bernard Morley and Adam Cook.

The home side increased their advantage on the stroke of half-time through an unmarked Osman.

Skelmersdale continued to exert their authority in the second half but Bill Robertson went close to reducing the deficit on 67 minutes with a powerful header that was cleared off the line.

Stuart Rudd sealed the win for Skelmersdale as he calmly lobbing the advancing Andrews on 87 minutes.



(Report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Unfortunately, can’t find a report of this game although the Rams went into this match against the men in orange with a doubt over keeper Gary Stones, who had ‘flu so assistant manager Mike Kelly was on stand-by to take over in goal again.

Centre back Neil Wallace was also missing with a hamstring injury and Steve Orrell had an ankle problem.

And the Rams came back from Moor Lane with a 2-2 draw with goals from David Yorke-Robinson and Jamie Ramplin, which helped ease the pain of Tuesday night’s FA Vase replay defeat to Tow Law Town in midweek.