We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.



(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

This was a victory more comprehensive than the scoreline would suggest as Ramsbottom United claimed an excellent 3-1 victory over Bootle at the Riverside, never really looking in any danger.

A victory more comprehensive than the scoreline would suggest, as the Rams never looked in danger, despite conceding an early goal to the visitors.

It was Ramsbottom out of the traps quickest, as they tore into the visitors from the off.

With Phil Dean looking dangerous down the left-wing, the visitors from Merseyside were back-pedalling as the home side pressed almost continuously, but failed to find the target.

As so often happens, on a rare breakaway after 24 minutes, Bootle took the lead, although they knew little about it. A hopeful lob from the left hand side saw Ian Flannery jump to clear, but agonisingly for the tall defender, the ball skidded off his head and landed just inside Grant Shenton’s left hand post to gift the Bucks an undeserved lead.

However, the Rams continued with their fine passing game, and two goals in three minutes turned the game on it’s head.

On 34 minutes, a powerful surge forward by Danny Warrender saw the full-back exchange passes with Mark Drew before unleashing an unstoppable volley past the startled Mawdsley in the Bootle goal to level the scores. And just three minutes later, Flannery atoned for his earlier error by latching onto a high free-kick at the back post, and squeezing his header home from the narrowest of angles to give the Rams a deserved lead.

A few minutes later, debutant James Rothel tried his luck from 25 yards, but his effort just missed the target.

Bootle would have been happy to go in at the break only one goal down, and no doubt their manager delivered a much-deserved rant, as the visitors came out for the second half with a more determined attitude.

It was the Rams, however, that looked the more likely to score. Joel Pilkington was unlucky when he was inches away with a snap-shot following the half-clearance of another Flannery header.

The third goal came on 61 minutes when Lee Gaskell was perfectly placed to slide the ball home as the visiting keeper could only parry Pilkington’s fierce drive from the edge of the box.

Gaskell had the chance to increase the lead just moments later when Anthony Johnson’s header set him up, but his effort was too weak, then Johnson, himself, was inches away from connecting with a Warrender cross.

Bootle tried their best to get back into the game. Good work by Hay saw him glide into the area on the right, and his perfect slipped-through ball to Robinson looked a certain goal before a defenders boot ensured his effort sailed over the bar. From the resultant corner Robinson then headed narrowly wide.

A free-kick from Loughlin cleared the wall but was well dealt with by Shenton, and the keeper had to be alert moments later when he gathered a dangerously looping header from Black from just under the bar.

Substitute Mickey Saunders had a glorious chance to add a fourth when a Warrender cross found the diminutive striker unmarked in front of goal, but his header sailed harmlessly over the top.

The final whistle sounded to end another fine performance by the home side, who despite the shock of conceding the first goal, never looked likely to relinquish the points.

Joint-manager Bernard Morley commented “These are the games that we need to win. We really should not be worried about anybody in this league with the squad we have. Last week against Skelmersdale we were down to the bare bones, yet today we had 19 players available, and the hard decision was which ones to leave out.”

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Shenton, Warrender, Rothel(Shuttleworth 69mins), Pilkington, Dawson, Flannery, Gaskell, Drew, Johnson(Morrison 72mins), Sharples, Dean(Saunders 82mins) Subs not used: Blackley, O’Neill




(Chris Boothman’s report via the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

RAMSBOTTOM continued their march towards the lucrative prospects of the FA Cup first round proper with a well-deserved win over Unibond League outfit Colwyn Bay. Credit must go to both sides for providing an action packed match.

The Rams entered the match being able to field the same team as their previous match, a feat never achieved previously this season, but the faith shown by manager Derek Egan was rewarded with the performance.

After a tense opening the hosts settled when Ewan Purcell struck a left foot shot that seemed destined for the top corner but former Rams keeper Ian Willcock was able to gather comfortably.

Minutes later, the Welsh outfit were given the perfect opportunity to open the scoring when Stewart White slipped the ball in behind the Rams defence, but Calvin Davies failed to beat keeper Steve Dryden from inside the box.

The Rams continued to press forward in search of a breakthrough but on several occasions failed to provide the killer pass when faced with well-worked chances until Adam Cook scored on the stroke of half-time.

Willcock’s return to the Riverside was not a happy one as he allowed the ball to squirm out of his grasp and over the line.

Ramsbottom came out for the second half all guns blazing and scored again within seconds of the restart.

An incisive pass found Matt Edgington, his perfect cross fell kindly inside the box and Shaun Spence calmly beat Colwyn skipper Neil Coverley to the ball before drilling into the top corner of the net.

This seemed to spark the Unibond team into action and they began to show glimpses of their prowess. The constant threat of Davies forced the Rams defensive duo of Robertson and Blackley to be at their very best.

But just after the hour mark, a long ball caused confusion for the Rams rearguard and Davies was on hand to easily beat Dryden to the ball before slotting into the empty net.

The Rams were virtually camped inside their own half for the next 15 minutes, although Purcell continued to impress by holding the ball up well and linking in both Spence and Buggie.
Dryden prevented a replay as he saved well from Davies.



(Excerpts via the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

Carl Trimble was back in the squad for the Rams as they headed to Kidsgrove, looking to bounce back from the midweek 2-1 defeat at Fleetwood Freeport.

And with the services of striker Steve Orrell returning also on a full-time basis again, after the end of his cricket season came.

The home side had lost a number of players to Leek Town and had won only three of their nine games so far and Ramsbottom have an opportunity to make progress.

“We were unlucky to lose against Fleetwood in midweek, especially after the way we took the game to them in the second half,” added the secretary.

And progress it was as Russell Brierley’s brace alongside Danny Goodall and Jamie Ramplin gave the Rams a solid 4-0 win – just their second of the season after last Saturday’s win over Glossop.

Things were certainly picking up and they would continue to do so on the Tuesday night when Martin Hulme and David Yorke-Robinson scored in a 2-0 win over Atherton Collieries at the Riverside.