We once again dip into the Ramsbottom United archives to see what happened on this respective Saturday in our non-league semi-professional history. And, it will be centered on 2010, 2004 and 1999.



(Tony Cunningham’s report from the very old RUFC website)

Ramsbottom United’s first ever visit to the Silentnight Stadium only just passed the inspection by the referee who then failed to take into account the conditions as he booked ten and sent one off in a game that was played in the right manner by both teams and won by the home side 2-1.

The pitch was extremely heavy and cut up badly as the game progressed, but both sides, on a terrific run of form, gave their all and attempted to play the passing game when a “hoof-it-and-see” attitude may have been preferable.

The first half was an even affair, with the home side looking the more dangerous in front of goal. Shorn of the two defensive towers, with Andy Dawson suspended and Ian Flannery injured, the visiting defence struggled against the home side’s set play, with keeping on their feet as important as clearing their lines. This they failed to do on 27 minutes, as a loose ball in the area fell kindly for Garbutt, who rifled a low drive home from ten yards to give “Barlick” the lead.

Before then the Rams had two excellent chances to take the lead. Phil Dean’s header sent Jon Robinson scurrying through the defence only to see his low drive turned round for a corner off the keeper’s legs. Then a cross from Dean caused panic in the area, but as the ball fell invitingly for Mark Sharples, his shot lacked pace and direction.

Joel Pilkington missed a gilt-edged chance to equalise before the break as he failed to connect directly in front of goal with a Dominic Smalley cross.

The visitor’s went in one goal down at the break, but it could have been worse. A flowing move from the home side ended with Blades firing hopelessly high and wide when a goal would have been a just reward for the best move of the game.

The second half saw the Rams take control, with the two wingers, Dean and Smalley being replaced by two attackers, Andy Sensale and Lee Gaskell, and the two newcomers almost created an equaliser. A fine cross from Sensale found Gaskell in front of goal, but as he struck the ball, a defenders boot managed to divert it over the bar for a corner.

Grant Shenton produced a superb save, diving to his right, to turn a fierce free-kick round the post, whilst a Mark Drew free-kick at the other end sailed harmlessly over the bar.

On 78 minutes the Rams deservedly grabbed an equaliser. Robinson’s run into the box was halted illegally according to the fussy referee who pointed to the spot, and frustratingly for the home side, produced a red card for Williams. Drew duly tucked away the penalty, and from then on it was one way traffic.

Try though they might, the visitors just could not find a way through the mud and the resolute Town defence, and as so often happens, fell victim to the sucker punch in the 90th minute.

Another attack broke down and a long clearance down the right found the Rams defenders racing back but not quick enough. A low cross fell invitingly for Jordan who side footed home from six yards to grab an unexpected lead for the home side.

The referee played five minutes of time added on, but, once again, despite their best efforts, the Rams could not find a breakthrough, and the final whistle went as another effort form Sensale was grabbed by the home keeper.

A game well contested by two good sides on an awful pitch, and an over-fussy referee combined to produce an entertaining, if ultimately frustrating match, from which Ramsbottom should have gained at least a point.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Shenton, Lea, Rothel, Pilkington, Warrender, Shuttleworth, Smalley(Sensale 56mins), Drew, Robinson, Sharples(Saunders 78mins), Dean(Gaskell 56mins) Subs not used: Ince, Lomax



(Chris Boothman’s report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

The Rams fell to their heaviest defeat of the season, but it could have been so much different, had they taken their chances early on.

With other results going their way, this was a good chance to close the gap on the leading teams.

Following a narrow victory in midweek, the Riverside outfit made the long trip to Stoke to face an unknown quantity in Stone, and were presented with a dream start after only two minutes.

Adam Cook beat the right-back and delivered an inviting cross that Lee Lainton struggled to deal with.

His poor clearance fell kindly for Bernard Morley and, after instantly controlling the ball, he fired into the bottom corner, with Rob Hackney motionless in the Stone goal.

This sparked the Rams into playing some enterprising and attractive football, with both Cook and Edgington looking extremely dangerous.

Edgington almost doubled the lead on eight minutes after he picked the ball up inside his own half, but despite easily beating three defenders his powerful shot flew high and wide of Hackney’s goal.

Another good move involving Liam Denning and Michael Saunders ended with Cook firing an unmarked shot well wide of the post.

The hosts began to find their feet and almost found an equaliser after 22 minutes, when the ball was bundled home, but an early flag from the assistant quashed the premature celebrations.

These uncharacteristic misses came back to haunt the Rams as they soon found themselves on level terms after 38 minutes.

A run from Andy Taylor culminated in an inch perfect cross for Jon Paul Jones, who finished with the deftest of touches.

Minutes later things deteriorated for the visitors when Shaw found space inside the penalty area and made no mistake by calmly slotting underneath Dryden.

The Rams’ performance failed to improve in the second half, and it was no surprise when the home side ran in another two goals.

On 55 minutes Paul Taylor floated the ball to the back post, and Shaw was on hand this time to force the ball over the line.

Saunders will feel a little aggrieved not to have done better, after spinning well inside the six yard box and firing directly into the body of Hackney.

On 72 minutes Denning flighted a perfect cross for Morley, but his downward header shaved the outside of the post.

With only eight minutes remaining Stone sealed their victory when Nick Ward fired a superb strike with the outside of his foot into the bottom corner.

A return to FA Vase Second Round action this Saturday sees the Rams make a trip to high-flyers Skelmersdale United.

Ramsbottom United: Dryden, Raywood, Brooks, Kozlowski, Robertso, Blackle, Edgington, Denning, Saunders, Morley, Cook . Subs: Hoyle (for Kozlowski), Stubberfield (for Denning), Walsh (for Edgington).



(Report from the Lancashire Telegraph archives)

The Rams deservedly lived to fight another day in the FA Vase after a stirring North-east battle ended all-square . . . and with both sides down to 10 men!

The home side hardly got a look in for 20 minutes and David Yorke-Robinson missed a clear opening when he tried to lob keeper Grant Wilson.

On the half hour mark Tow Law were lucky to survive as Martin Hulme robbed a defender 20 yards out, moved forward to hit a low drive that cannoned off Wilson for yet another corner kick. Ramsbottom had to dig in and skipper Warren Brierley, Neil Wallace and Dave Roach were all magnificent as Tow Law turned the screw in their search for the lead.

On 78 minutes Ramsbottom went in front and it was leading scorer Russell Brierley who turned Martin Hulme’s low shot past a helpless Wilson. The visitors’ delight lasted just four minutes with substitute Nigel Bolton equalising when he got the final touch following a goalmouth melee.

Five minutes away from extra time the Rams were reduced to 10 men when Danny Goodall was sent off for a second cautionable offence. However, 10 minutes into the extra period, they had Hague sent off.

As both sides tired, chances started to appear but Ramsbottom showed tremendous spirit to hang on for a well deserved replay at Ramsbottom tomorrow evening.